• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 jeep wrangler

Stranger ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My mother has a 02 jeep wrangler sahara, 4.0 I6, 5speed.
I have a 94, 4.0L, 5speed ford ranger.
I was washing her jeep the other day, and figured i'd clean the motor up a bit. I had some engine degreaser in the garage so I used it up on her motor. Well I waited a few, then just used a garden hose to rinse it away. Now for about 3 or 4 days, it was hard to start. She had to crank it for about 5 or 6 seconds at a time. the jeep ran just fine, but the starting issued was concerning her. After a few days, it started fine again. Now i used the same degreaser on my ranger motor, and used the same garden hose to rinse off. I even rinsed it for a longer period of time too, just to see. Well I hit the key and it fired instantly like it always does, didn't give me one bit of trouble. What could I have gotten wet on her straight six that caused it to do something like that. I didnt get water in the air box. I even have a homemade intake on my ranger that gets wet all the time and it still didnt phase it. If something is wrong with the jeep motor, I'd like to figure it out before it leaves her stranded somewhere. If someone can help me on this issue i'd greatly appreciate it.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I believe the jeep I6 has a distributor cap, there's nothing inside but a rotor. It does however distribute the spark to the appropriate cylinder. Here's the kick, there's a breather hole in the top of the cap and although it has a cap on it water still gets in easily. It causes as hard or no start condition.

dry it out, spray with wd40 and you're good to go.

Stranger ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would have to agree with you on earlier 4.0L's, but her 02 has a coil pack, no distributor. So we can toss that out. If it were an earlier straight six, that most certainly would be the case. thanks for your input.

Stranger ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have you had the coil pack checked out? I know the ones (8) on my F-150 don't like to get wet.

Stranger ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm gonna change the plugs and have it checked out, maybe there is a crack in it somewhere, i dont see how it would get cracked, but who knows,, theres 102 on the odometer and i dont think they have ever been changed

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals