• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2 Q's 3" Bodt Lift kit - Torsion bar adjuster Broken

VooDooMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok well I am glad to see every one back after the forum crash and what not, Sad story.........welcome back every one!

I have researched a bit and decided to go the body lift method, simply because I do minimal to no off roading and I am only after a size or 2 increase in tire size. I am at 245/70/16 right now, and I am told with a 3" body lift kit I can go as big as 31-32's?

Its a stock 2003 Ford ranger, 4 L 4X4 automatic - And as I am sure you all know, the front is lower then the back and it drives me nuts!
Hence the body lift kit..............

I need recommendations on kits to buy, since I am located in Canada, and the CAD $ is so high might as well buy from USA and ship it over I think.
Recommendations please - Also does the kit contain every thing I need for the body bumpers and linkages / wiring or do I need extras?!

Any one got any step by step instructions with pictures?!
I am a millwright by trade for many years with at home tools milling machines lathes welding machines etc etc, I am not worried too much about this job.

So with that covered................

Initially I wanted to jack my torsion bars, but of course the retard before me must have taken out a rather large rock and broke the hardened bolt that adjusts the right side torsion bar.........Thinking I can get that bastard out I started drilling with a carbide end mill - Of course no luck!

I then thought I would wash out the bolt with my ocy-acetylene, but then it hit me.......If I do that the torsion bar and key will slam down into my face and I probably cant find a new adjuster / bolt to place back into its spot........As it became evident that no scrap yard wants to sell that piece separately, since the whole torsion bar setup is useless with out it!

So here is the big QUESTION, If I wash out the bolt and adjuster block, How do I jack or prop up the key and torsion bar from slamming into my face?!

I will machine a new piece and harden it my self and install it back into the old ones place.........That I am not too worried about, I just want to make sure that damn torsion bar doesn't move! Any ides or thoughts?!

If I can get that done then I will crank 1-1.5" up. Might not even have to crank any thing at all since the body lift kit will take care of all of that stuff, And it will ride level finally!

So any ideas thoughts comments or valid useful criticism is wanted and needed guys and or gals...............

Thanks every one
Christian

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I then thought I would wash out the bolt with my ocy-acetylene, but then it hit me.......If I do that the torsion bar and key will slam down into my face and I probably cant find a new adjuster / bolt to place back into its spot........As it became evident that no scrap yard wants to sell that piece separately, since the whole torsion bar setup is useless with out it!

So here is the big QUESTION, If I wash out the bolt and adjuster block, How do I jack or prop up the key and torsion bar from slamming into my face?!
I had my brand new Sport Trac less than a week when we went off-roading in the winter with TRS in Wellsville, OH. I didn't plan on going off-road with it at that time, I was going to ride with Will, but being low and with small tires it whacked the torsion bar crossmember on the railroad tracks going into the off-road park and bent it.
The next week I get my bigger tires and go to the alignment shop (hey, it's winter and I hate cold) to get the crossmember straightened, shackles put on, TT, and alignment. Bolt was bent too and broke when he tried to turn it. Removed it with Smokey The Blue Tip Wrench and got another bolt and block at the junkyard. So I guess you can do it but a lift would help so that hot stuff doesn't hit you in the face.
With just the torsion twist you can fit 265/75-16's (32").

VooDooMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Jeez that's a crappy story!
I am glad you got it solved!!

So how did you exactly get another bolt and block adjuster from the scrapper........did you remove it your self or how exactly.

Same goes with installation, did you jack the key up or some thing? I mean didn't it slam down into your face?!

So cranking my torsion bars 2" will allow me 32" tires?!

So what if I crank my torsion bars 2" + get a 3" body kit......whats that going to look like, I cant imagine it really, I guess my front end would be higher then?!

If I could get 33" on there - That would be nice too LOL

Thanks big guy

VooDooMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Any one else
?

reddog5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I cranked my torsion bars about 2 inches and have a 3in body lift and was running 33's no problem. I could not get it to sit level for some reason though.
I have the Performance acsessories and it came with everything i needed. I think i paid around $175 2 years ago.

I took my torsion bars out last weekend and i know its not a very safe way but i put a bottle jack under the torsion key so i could remove the nut. There is a tool supposedly that bolts on and holds the torsion key in place while you take the bolt out and ive seen a pic of one but no one around here seems to be able to order it . There is a rough sketch of what it looks like in the haynes manual in one of the diagrams.

If you want/ need 2 torsion bolts and adjusters you can have mine. im goin solid axle.

VooDooMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I cranked my torsion bars about 2 inches and have a 3in body lift and was running 33's no problem. I could not get it to sit level for some reason though.
I have the Performance accessories and it came with everything i needed. I think i paid around $175 2 years ago.

I took my torsion bars out last weekend and i know its not a very safe way but i put a bottle jack under the torsion key so i could remove the nut. There is a tool supposedly that bolts on and holds the torsion key in place while you take the bolt out and ive seen a pic of one but no one around here seems to be able to order it . There is a rough sketch of what it looks like in the haynes manual in one of the diagrams.

If you want/ need 2 torsion bolts and adjusters you can have mine. im goin solid axle.

Hey thanks for the reply!
33's on a 2inch torsion crank and 3 in bodylift..........that must look damn sexy!!
Any pictures?!

Curious as to why you couldn't get it to sit level?!

175$ is a fair deal, and I think I am going to buy the same kit........Does your rad hose rub on the fan belt?

The bottle jack idea is identical to my thinking.......not safe but if its safe enough for me to torch out the block and blot and quickly replace it with another then I am good to go!

QUESTION :
Since my truck is stock, the front dips and the back is high, If I install my body lift kit and don't jack my front torsion bars like everyone else........Will there still be that noticeable dip in the front?
I assume so since the body lift is exactly that, a BODY LIFT.
^^ I think I answered my own question LOL

QUESTION:
33" tires........does it bog down your truck at all?
I assume its a 4L.......No problems?

I will PM you for those blocks!

THANKS!!!

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
all a BL will do is raise your body, whatever your rake was like before, it will be the same afterward. ultimatley you should regear with 33's but if its a 4L you can turn them alright.

reddog5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No, it doesnt rub on the fan belt.

Yeah its a dog sometimes!! i have the 3.0 with 4.10's and an auto tranny. It sucks going up steep grades but i ran it like that for a couple of years. I never re-geared it cause i knew i wanted a solid axle.

I think i couldnt get it to sit level cause the torsion bars were sagging. Dude before me musta had them pretty high:no2:

No problem on the torsion bolt/ block.

Check your PM.

Heres some pics...

Attachments

VooDooMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
all a BL will do is raise your body, whatever your rake was like before, it will be the same afterward. ultimatley you should regear with 33's but if its a 4L you can turn them alright.
I certainly do not want to get into the thought of regearing.......I assume its my rear axle ?!

I will stay away from 33 if that is "ultimitly" what I need to do LOL
Maybe 32" then.

Thanks!

VooDooMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
No, it doesnt rub on the fan belt.

Yeah its a dog sometimes!! i have the 3.0 with 4.10's and an auto tranny. It sucks going up steep grades but i ran it like that for a couple of years. I never re-geared it cause i knew i wanted a solid axle.

I think i couldnt get it to sit level cause the torsion bars were sagging. Dude before me musta had them pretty high:no2:

No problem on the torsion bolt/ block.

Check your PM.

Heres some pics...
I have a 4L with 4.10 and auto.........I wonder how bad it would get when on hills and such........Probably gear back a heck of a lot!

Maybe that's the issue with the torsion bars, sagged a bit.......sadly!

The truck looks SUPER sexy, impressive unit!!
I do wonder though if I actually need that 3" lift........If I opt for a 32" a 2" lift might suffice?!

Just trying to keep the options open........3" isn't to aggressive, so I might stick with that...........Ill end up fabricating my own side rails and then I wont destroy my seats LOL

Thanks again big guy, your a great bunch of help!

Take care!!

camodown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
with a 4L and 4.10's you will be fine running 33's and you will like it a ton more. There won't be much loss.

reddog5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
VooDooMan, check your PM.

I just about had a heart attack!

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I stand corrected if you have 4.10s go for it, 4.10's and a 4L with 33's work nicley im running 4.10's with 31's. but if you want your truck to repond the way it does now regearing is still an option, its not as hard as it sounds.

VooDooMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
VooDooMan, check your PM.

I just about had a heart attack!
HAHAHAHAH - yea you bet, We both had one massive heart attack!

thanks big guy!

VooDooMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I stand corrected if you have 4.10s go for it, 4.10's and a 4L with 33's work nicley im running 4.10's with 31's. but if you want your truck to repond the way it does now regearing is still an option, its not as hard as it sounds.
Thanks for the replies guys!

as for regearing.........what is involved, in a nutshell?
Its not that critical if I loose a little torque, I just wont want my engine and or tranny stressing becasue I have 33"s on there.............

Thanks for all the help guys
Once I get the freebies from reddog5, I will take pictures of my torsion bar nut fix and then take pics of my body kit installtion and what not!

thanks guys!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals