• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 conversion questions

redneck1959

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ive got a 89 ranger ext cab 2.3 5 spd 2wd converted to 4wd, im putting a 4.0 out of a 92 explorer in it i have the complete harness out of both, i know i have to change the engine harness,and computer harness, but do i have to change the harness under the dash. both harness's have a white round plug that look the same, any info could help
thanks wes

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
i know i have to change the engine harness,and computer harness, but do i have to change the harness under the dash?
no i just pulled the red pin retainer and moved the pins around on my donor 92 harness so they'd match the dash pin-out.each spot is numbered on the plugs so its a little easier than you'd think

redneck1959

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
so i cant just plug the harness's in together (engine and dash harness's) i have to move some wires,what wires do i move

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
You'll have to get a wiring diagram for each vehicle.

From them you should be able to get the right wires matched up form connector to connector.

Pay close attention to what the wires go to.......just because they are the same color doesn't mean squat.

redneck1959

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
so would it be easier to switch the harness under the dash since i got it to, are the ac an sensors under the dash the same, the only gauge i care about is the fuel and the ac stuff,screw the rest of them

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Not really

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There is no easy way of doing it. Best way is get the wire diagrams for both trucks. Then just sit down and move the pins around. Moving the pins is pretty easy. It will take some time but you will get it done.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
exactly.....and doesn't involve ripping the dash apart.

pangborn83

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
and if you did pull all wiring from the dash it can be a pain to get it all back in right where it was so that everything fits in behind, not that I did it and was putting it all back in Saturday or anything :black_eye:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
Pay close attention to what the wires go to.......just because they are the same color doesn't mean squat.
you should watch out,true.i like to have the EVTM's to sort it out(since the chiltons and haynes can be wrong) but most of them are the same color.

so i cant just plug the harness's in together (engine and dash harness's) i have to move some wires,what wires do i move
its easiest to un-bundle the end here and just match em up without getting into the dash wires.i basically lopped off the end of the harness that came out of my truck so i'de have an easy reference of where the wires in the dash are.then copied it on paper and moved the pins around in the new donor harness connector(no cutting) with picks to match the diagram.pop out the red keeper and you can depress the tang letting the wires out of the connector.it sounds like a lot but it was only 8 wires and the wires that were different in my truck were mostly because the donor had power everything(windows,seats,etc) and mine doesn't.you can repin the tranny and fuel/tailight harness connectors if needed too.
rickcdewitt said:
i figured it would be easiest to re-pin the 92 donor headlight harness to match my 91 dash harness,

so since i don't have a diagram yet of the big connector i unplugged the 91 harness and cut off the white connector with a cut-off wheel about 1" from the connector so it would be easier to draw a diagram with the body of the connector and where the pins are in each connector-(91 and 92),and what color each wire is.this is made easier by the terminals on the connector being numbered 1-53.i noted 8 wires that were different and am still working on them.
the pic on the left is the firewall plug pinout.

heres my thread link and another
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6522
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20826

redneck1959

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ok well im gona try friday night an see what i come up with, im gona try the wires first but if i dont figure it out i will be switching the dash harness to
thanks for the help guys

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals