• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 28/35 Hybrid pass. side ujoint replacement

zapper2003

Reaction score
Never done a ujoint in my life, and i've heard they can be a biatch. Regardless, this morning doing some light wheeling i heard a pop and low and behold one of the caps on the passengers side outer ujoint had grenaded, so now i've got an ugly ujoint that needs replacement. Are dana 28 and dana 35 ujoints the same? Which one will I need for this axle? Also, being as i've never done one, the way I understand is that I need to remove the nuts from both upper and lower balljoints and get teh entire spindle out of the way so that I can access the ujoint to change it. Is this correct? Do I HAVE to replace that rubber boot between the half-shaft and the stub shaft?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The hybrid axle uses the same joints as a D35 or D44.

No, you don't have to remove the balljoints (knuckle), you only need to remove the wheel spindle that's bolted to the knuckle, then the shaft can come out of the hole in the knuckle.

The axle boot does not need replacement unless its cracked or torn.

If you have any future plans to upgrade your chunk to a real D35, I'd probably make the extra effort to get a Spicer 760X u-joint for it and do the full-circle clip mod (get that out of the way while you have the shaft out).

zapper2003

Reaction score
Is there a c-clip inside the differential on this front axle? Also, is the passengers side axle one-piece or two? I know there's that 'extra' ujoint near the middle of the axle on the passengers side, does the axle have a 'slip joint' right there inside of said boot? Do I have to take that boot apart to get the entire thing off the truck?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It comes apart exactly the same as a real D35.

You have to remove the chunk to remove the inner shaft from the pig after you've separated the slip.
The circlip eliminator mod will work just the same on it as well.

zapper2003

Reaction score
Now that makes no sense to me, lol. All I have experience wise with axles are fluid changes and dis-assembly of the rear axle (more specifically the differential) on my 97 Firebird (GM 7.5) and That is a c-clip axle. Regardless.

To the best of my knowledge and this is me guessing how it works in this ranger front end, in order to get the axles out of the differential carrier, you'd have to remove the c-clips. But In order to remove the c-clips, i'd have to unbolt the entire pig since there isn't any kind of access cover. Am I correct thus far? If i'm not, please correct me. Also, to remove the entire passengers side shaft, It cannot be taken apart whole? You HAVE to take the rubber boot loose at one end and separate the 'slip' as you called it, and then remove both halves separately? How do you get the inner shaft out of the pig?

What I'm thinking is that if i'm having this thing apart, replace both u-joints. However, if its going to be rediculous to get the 'inner' half out, i'm not going to waste the time until it actually goes bad.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You partially got it.

Only the inner passengerside shaft is held in the diff with a circlip (AKA E-clip), the rest of the shafts come right out.

Was there any rust inside the caps on the u-joint? If so, I would replace all 3 of them. It's usually only a short time before the next one starts freezing up from rust. Then you can do the circlip eliminator mod at the same time while it's apart, and not have to worry about that internal clip again in the future.

Another option might be to buy the C-frame balljoint/u-joint tool from Harbor Freight and try to get it around the middle joint while it's still on the truck and pop it out that way (I've heard a few people say this is possible to do).

zapper2003

Reaction score
Alright, that cleared a lot up then. So my front end will use the 276x ujoints? i will probably pick up one of each type (28/35) just because it'd be my luck to get it torn down and have the wrong part, thats usually how it goes for me. Friend of mine has the c-clamp looking balljoint tool, maybe I can get that cat off of him and see if i can fenangle my way into the truck and change that out. Thanks for all of your help.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
What year is your truck?
'93-'97 (inc. those with hybrid axles) ALL take the larger u-joint (Spicer 5-297X (obsolete) or 5-760X (current replacement part))
Only '83-'89 (and some '90) use the small 5-456X joint.

zapper2003

Reaction score
Okay, I was just double checking on the part numbers is all. I was way off on my number but it sounded right at the time, lol. My truck is a 95.

zapper2003

Reaction score
vatozone.com is listing the ujoints as being two different sizes, one being something like 1.188" bearing cap, or 1.063 bearing cap size. I suppose I'll buy one of each and retrurn the one I don't need?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals