• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Possible to fit SUBARU AWD boxer "package" into 4WD Ranger?

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
It occurs to me that Fuji Heavy Industries (aka Subaru) makes some of the very best engine and AWD drivetrain combos on the planet, in terms of power/weight ratios, reliability, LOW center-of-gravity, etc... and in their various single and twin turbo configurations, they SPANK ASS!

OTOH, the Ranger's PTO-type transfer-case 4WD is 1930s technology that weighs a lot... but is useful for driving irrigation pumps, lol. The cast iron V-engines are heavy AND high C.G., both characteristics are detrimental to off-roading.

SO... has anyone ever fitted the Subie "operating system" into a Ranger? Is there even enough room forward of the front axle line to make this possible?

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
um, I didnt know a powertrain built for a light compact car could hold up to the abuse a 4x4 truck gets put through. Not to mention the lack of low range...

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
um, I didnt know a powertrain built for a light compact car could hold up to the abuse a 4x4 truck gets put through. Not to mention the lack of low range...
Those Subaru engines can take WAY more abuse than the Ranger 4 cylinder can. As far as lack of low end, you need to drive a turbo Subaru.

With that being said, all the work to make that swap would be good only to say "I did it!". It would be much easier to just build an original Ranger engine to do what you need it to do.

Last edited:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Depends on the Subaru. My friends 89 GL had a low range. Ir was pretty badass watching a station wagon pull out a stump lol.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
Those Subaru engines can take WAY more abuse than the Ranger 4 cylinder can. As far as lack of low end, you need to drive a turbo Subaru.

i think he was refering to the cutsy little stuff the motor is hooked to like suspension bearings etc. and he was talking about 4 low....

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i think he was refering to the cutsy little stuff the motor is hooked to like suspension bearings etc. and he was talking about 4 low....
why yes, I was, thanks rick...so, for the record I HAVE driven a stock wrx. And was in the passanger seat of another one that was owned by a guy from trinidad who has WAY WAY WAY more money then brains. SO sure, they get up and go. How much does one of thouse things weigh anyways? I know my truck weighs almost 5000lbs fully loaded. Then there is the weee lill' axles. BUT i say if its your doller then go for it, hell if you buy the beer I'll come help ya.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had an STi for a year. WOW. My friend with the Cobra was pissed when we took to the backroads.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
so were still talking about a lightweight unibody vehicle, not a full frame..

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Engine v engine. The Turbo Boxer > Ranger 2.3, 3.0 for power and durability.

Last edited:

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
*I'm* not going to undertake such a radical swap, just wondering if anybody ELSE had... seems the result would be a much LIGHTER truck, which consequently would BRAKE better, and which corners better with the lower C.G., and KICKS ASS on the straights!

But yep, you'd lose the 4LO, which ain't fast, but pulls like a TRACTOR!

Anyway, had a ride in a 2007 WRX-STi-turbo-w/manual a couple months back and was IMPRESSED, or rather IN-pressed into the seat by G-forces, LOL. I was like, it's a 4-banger, are ya shyttin' me? After that I stopped making fun of the hood scoop. :blush:

So, I'd never put a Subie in a Ranger... but if on one of my forays to the dry Southwest, I should find a clean unloved Porsche 914 with that lame, barely running 70HP VW engine in it... well THEN I'll be adding an STi WARP DRIVE to that puppy! :icon_bounceblue:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Subarus (like most jap cars) have NO low end torque.

Not what you need when your climbing a rutted steep hill, or axle deep in gooey mud.

later,
Dustin

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Keep in mind if something is tough in a car, it may not be tough in a truck.

I wouldn't even trade the running gear that is my Ranger right now for a car drivetrain. If you want a street truck fine, but for a wheeler, a tough 4x4 system (not AWD) with 4lo and a decent amount of ground clearance is very important.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.

Not what you need when your climbing a rutted steep hill, or axle deep in gooey mud.

later,
Dustin
I don't know dustin. I think that Subaru engine makes more torque at the same RPM. its not like a ranger 4cyl is a low revver either. I think that Subaru engine would be a good alternative to a V8 in a 2wd converted to AWD

hihoslvr

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
F.O.R.D.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My boss, who has $ and brains owns a Forester, Baja, and an F250 SD. Apparently he rallies the piss outta his Subies; my supervisor said he could hardly keep up with him (think the sup. was in Suburban?), anyway a little bit of subject, but yeah maybe the "new" Rangers will have some crossover type features..., hmm maybe that's not so good afterall. time will tell.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

later,
Dustin
Most Jap cars have no low end torque--of course that is a load of crap. But I don't think that Subaru drivetrain belongs in a pickup. They are all damn fine cars though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals