• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need to replace gear box

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 Ranger & I was driving through a parking lot & all of a sudden a car came flying through & i had to turn shape to the left to avoid being hit & in the process I hit the concrete base that the pole lights in the parking are attached to. dented the front bumper ,but the gear box broke. The shaft from steering to gear box is fine & all lingage from pitmit arm to wheels are fine ,but wheel just spins freely from left to right.

What years of ranger gear box's will work in my 94 2wd ranger? Im assuming 84-97 ,but not 100% sure & what about 4wd gear box's?

Need to get this repaired ASAP.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
The only difference was between power and manual steering boxes. No difference between 2 and 4wd boxes.

Swapping the box will consist of pulling the pitman arm, 3 bolts through the frame that hold the box in, PS lines and the pinch bolt on the steering shaft.

The box pretty much falls out after the 3 bolts.

Dont forget to propperly bleed the steering before starting the truck.

Use a big honking pickle fork to get the pitman arm off. It wont be easy with a puller. You may need both a puller and pickle fork. I needed a puller and a chisle that acted like a one sided pickle fork.

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
so being that there aint any difference's between 2wd & 4wd .Im I correct about the years only being from 84-97 or does the newer 98 + work also?

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
98+ has a rack and pinion set up, no steering box.

Your two options are a JY box or a reman box. I would say put a reman box in there and have no worries IMHO.

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I located a used one on a 95 ranger off of Craigslist that got rearended & it only had 92,000 miles on it . Im able to get it for $35 & the engine & hood are already gone so it makes it very easy to get it off.

Thanks for the info

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Got it finished today & the steering wheel's off center by about 45 deg. The steering wheel cant be repositioned,the shaft connecting the column to the gear box can only go on one way due to the single flat spot on the box shaft. My only option to get the wheel centered again is to remove the pitman arm & reposition it . The pitman arm was never taken off the box from the donor truck.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you are sure you are getting full left and right travel, an alignment shop (or you) could adjust the tie rods equal amounts in opposite directions to correct that.

I'd do circles (wheel turned to max) in an open parking lot to make sure first. If you are getting a smaller circle in one direction, move the Pitman arm. Your call.

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the pitman shaft a master spline? (can only go on one way?)

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I looked at an old pitman arm & it has 4 master splines on it so it can be set at 4 different positions,so maybe the arm is off by one position. I'll check it out on Saturday.

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
was there a difference between the ratio's from any of the years ,on 2wd & 4wd or between std cab & ext cab trucks .The donor truck was a ext cab & mine is a std cab & it seems as if the turning radius in both directions is a smaller radius then it was with the stock gear box.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
It is possible that something else was also damaged when you hit the pole. Possible part of the steering linkage.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
DO NOT USE A PICKLE FORK! i broke mine trying a pickle fork.. use a pitman arm puller .. much easier an its the correct tool for the job..

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
The only part of the truck that hit the pole was the front bumper,it only has about a dent the size of a cereal bowl in it on the lower passenger corner. I tried using a pitman arm puller that I got from Sears on the donor truck & the puller broke @ one of the 90 deg. corners of the fingers ,without the pitman arm coming off. They must really be seized on there or a cheap puller,but its a craftsman so i'll be able to take it back

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals