• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ranger front end

COMP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4cyl
Transmission
Automatic
my dad just called and said its going to cost 850 + for balljoints ,,anybody got stuck like that ??

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I can see it being that easily at a shop. The upper control arms aren't cheap, and you have to change the complete upper control arm as the ball joint isn't a serviceable part. The lower ball joint is replaceable. You add in the labour and a wheel alignment (and the cost of the upper alignment eccentrics) and it adds up pretty quick.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
^^exactly what he said. I did them myself. They aren't that hard to do at all.

COMP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4cyl
Transmission
Automatic

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was under the impression that the 2WD upper control arms had pressable ball joints?

COMP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4cyl
Transmission
Automatic

COMP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4cyl
Transmission
Automatic
so what has everybody paid for theirs ???

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
I paid $100 for my upper arm and lower ball joint (per side).
$48 for an alignment from Belle Tire.

Prices of parts may vary depending on the brand you get.

phatcap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I paid $100 for my upper arm and lower ball joint (per side).
$48 for an alignment from Belle Tire.
are you kidding me?! same thing happened to me a couple years ago. needed new upper control arms cause the haynes manual says the ball joints themselves can't be replaced (didn't know any better at the time. some people say you can...idk for sure though)

anyway, my belle tire quote was around $700. i guess that was with 2 new tires too cause the old ones were all uneven but still. they told me they were a dealer part or some bs, that's why it was so $$$. i would like to know what parts they used on yours. 2 upper control arms and lower ball joints for $200?
you got a pretty good price.

i told them no way and did it myself for around $250-300 not including the tires.

COMP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4cyl
Transmission
Automatic
same here ,,where did you get your parts ??

phatcap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
unfortunately, i went to the local ford stealership, but you can get aftermarket ones for much cheaper. try rockauto.com. a lot of people recommend moog brand, but i noticed they were a little $$...

make sure you get the right ones though. there are different part #'s for torsion bar or coil spring suspension. i'm guessing you have the standard coil spring set-up since it's the 2wd 4-banger like mine. also, diff. part # for left side and right side. don't know why that is but...

fyi, this should probably be in the 2wd suspension forum.

COMP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4cyl
Transmission
Automatic
unfortunately, i went to the local ford stealership, but you can get aftermarket ones for much cheaper. try rockauto.com. a lot of people recommend moog brand, but i noticed they were a little $$...

make sure you get the right ones though. there are different part #'s for torsion bar or coil spring suspension. i'm guessing you have the standard coil spring set-up since it's the 2wd 4-banger like mine. also, diff. part # for left side and right side. don't know why that is but...

fyi, this should probably be in the 2wd suspension forum.
thanks,,,,i didn't notice i posted in the wrong area;brownbag;
maybe that why so little replys

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
I got my parts from the local Frenchy's store. I don't remember what brand they were, but I wanna say they were Federal Moogal.

If their telling you these parts are dealer only...you may want to go somewhere else, any autoparts store will have/can get these.

Yeah, make sure you get the correct ones for the type of suspension you have (coil sprung or torsion) and the correct ones for the drivers and passenger sides (they were different on mine).

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It never hurts to look online - Ebay - or simply search google for "ford ranger upper control arm" If you have worked on cars a little changing all this out yourself if not a big deal. Just buy name brands. When I did it, I got almost new control arms from someone who lowered the heck out of his ranger and used aftermarket stuff. You might do like I did and run an add asking for what you want in the Want To Buy section. It worked for me. I bought the entire upper and lower control arms from a 2006 model and just swapped them out. Therefore I did not have to change the ball joints - but - it looked straight forward enough. You can do it all yourself, without a spring compressor, and if you mark things well, get really close to back in alignment. Realignment is usually in the $50-60 range.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I did mine a couple of years ago....If you live in the salt belt, they are a bitch.

I had to go through Ford, Napa claimed the the 2wd and 4wd parts are the same (they aren't), I think each upper cost me $100, though i vowed to goto Moog Problemsolvers if I ever have to do it again.

Dealing with the brake and front end problems my 98 has (repeatedly) makes me consider getting a 97 or older...

TTb/TIB is better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals