• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

problem with hydrolocking

fordman49450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I have a 94 Ranger with the 4.0. I know they had lots of problems with these trucks and the intake systems taking in water during a heavy rainfall or people going through water. This would cause the engine to hydrolock. Besides installing a Snorkel on it, do any of you have any suggestions to help prevent this from happening? I am going to be trail-riding the truck and may experience some water holes. I dont intend on going through anything I need a snorkel for, but I dont want engine damage. Thanks. I know there is a website out there where the guy goes through the bottom of the air box and through the inner fender, but that just seems like it could result in the same problem and even make it worse. thanks.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
To borrow an old solution from 2.9Ls, you can drill a hole (say, 1/2 inch to 1 inch) in the back of the airbox outside the filter. Run a vent line from that hole up to the top of the firewall. You'll have to submerge that to get the engine to hydrolock (though you may stall it due to air starvation). If you're going through water that deep, you need a snorkel anyway.

I've never heard of anyone hydrolocking from heavy rain. Even if it's in sheets, there is a lot of air in there. It's submersion that really gives it to you.

fordman49450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There was a TSB concerning this and it said heavy rainfall I believe. So, when you say outside the filter, do you mean, under the filter so the air is still being filtered? or do you mean above it? Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals