• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 2.3 distributor to 2.3 durasprk

wbermont

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1988 2.3 distributor to 2.3 distributorless

Hello everybody. I'm looking for advices on how to repair or swap an engine 2.3 with distributor on a 1988 ford ranger. It looks like the piston wrist came off and cracked the piston wall. I've been looking around at the junk yards and I can't find the same engine but most of them have 2.3 distributorless 8 spark plugs. I'm wondering if some of you guys have done this swap before. I would like the same 2.3 engine due to GPM and my low budget, but I don't know if this engine will fit or what will I need in order to make this work. I would appreciate any advice on how to fix my ranger.

Last edited:

bmax77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am finding the same thing. I too have an 88 2.3 4 plug engine and was thinking the same thing. Did you do it and get it to work and if so what all did you have to change? I need help as well on this.

John Smith

Reaction score
In my case...

I have been collecting older 2.3L engines as i I find them,....many times they can be had for very cheap ...at least in my area....since this block goes way back to the 70's....if you like duraspark....the tfi can be replaced with the duraspark setup very easily....

I'm not sure when they quite drilling the dist holes in the block...the latest one i have is an 88....and it came with the roller cam.....a plus in the newer motors i guess...

the weakness seems to be the heads...if they have been raced hard...the blocks/ cranks/ rods seem to be bulletproof 4 the most part....

I have (2) 78 motors with the original pistons

these early engine are very popular for the circle track guys so they may be harder to find..but it can be done....and cheaply too if you make a quest out of it i bet....

good luck

Last edited:

6.9l ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello everybody. I'm looking for advices on how to repair or swap an engine 2.3 with distributor on a 1988 ford ranger. It looks like the piston wrist came off and cracked the piston wall. I've been looking around at the junk yards and I can't find the same engine but most of them have 2.3 distributorless 8 spark plugs. I'm wondering if some of you guys have done this swap before. I would like the same 2.3 engine due to GPM and my low budget, but I don't know if this engine will fit or what will I need in order to make this work. I would appreciate any advice on how to fix my ranger.
To swap in a duraspark dist. from a tfi dist, you can use a repair manual for a mustang, ranger, LTD II, pinto,& all 2.3l powered cars from 1976-1985. I cut one from a pinto & wired it into my brothers 1986 ranger years ago, it ran great with no more tfi problem again. :icon_thumby: If you need more help just ask.

vince87ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
as far as i know up to 92 has a distributor hole, i used a 92 mustang 8plug shortblock with a 4 plug 86(mabe?) head. took all the injecton stuff off and ran a carb with a duraspark. the stock mustang had a magnegtic pickup behind the timing cover,took the thing off and ran it. far as looking for a useable block, look where the distributor shuld be, if it has a distrobutor clamp holding a button looking thing in you can take that out and put in a duraspark or whatever dizzy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals