• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 swap

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Tomorrow Im going to a salvage yard to pick up a 8.8 from a 91-01 explorer. This is somewhat of a budget build so I plan to take the axle with the best gear ratio(Ill upgrade to disk brakes later if I have to). Hopefully I can find one with 4.10's if not 3.73's will be fine. There are 18 explorers to choose from so my chances sound good.
With this axle, I was thinking about changing the fluids, greasing up the wheel bearings, relocating the spring perches and bolting it up. Would you recommend changing out the axle bearings or do you guys usually just do what I first mentioned and bolt it up?

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just curious how your gunna grease up the wheel bearings?...

They soak in the axle fliud. Same fluild as the ring and pinion.

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Must be built differently then my Bronco II. Everytime I would change the brakes, I would take the bearings off and grease them.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Must be built differently then my Bronco II. Everytime I would change the brakes, I would take the bearings off and grease them.
Not on the rear axle you didn't...

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Your absolutely right. I thought they were built the same way. I still have alot to learn.
I just picked up a 8.8 from a 93 explorer. It has 3.73's in it. Thats the best ratio I could find.
What do you guys usually do? I am going to relocate perches, change fluid and paint it to look all pretty. do you guys usually replace axle bearings or just fix it as you go...???

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
when i got my 1992 8.8 the bearings were fine, this is what i did. cleaned the diff out and inspected gear, got crome cover since the stock one was composit, pinion seal was good, put new brakes on cleaned her up and painted.

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I took the diff cover off and drained out the fluids. Everything looks brand new, no rust, no chips. Do you recommend cleaning out all of the old oil and starting new or just leave what doesnt drip out on its own? Anything you used to get it out without removing the diff?
Also, the differential has that S shape plate in the middle, isnt this limited slip?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
That S spring would mean its is limited slip. I usually just hose it out as best as I can with a can of brake clean and let it dry. You don't have to get it all out of there unless its really nasty or full of water.

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I pulled the tag off of it and it says 3L73 which means 3.73's with traction lock. I looked into the traction lock and it is labled as a limited slip diff. I then read more detail on what it does and it sounds like it does the same as a detroit locker. Whats the difference?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Trac lok is just the name for the LS, it uses a spring and clutches, lockers use a positive locking action.

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ive read that the trac lock gets even torque to both wheels but transfers the torque to one wheel on turns. Lockers do the same. What am I missing?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
It uses clutches and a spring in an open diff to make it limited slip, clutches slip in many off-road situations and will then act like an open diff, all lockers have some form of positive locking and will spin both wheels at the same speed when locked or in the case of an automatic locker when throttle is applied.
Comparison video of LS vs locker I made.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lydlwgiW6Y

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Was the front of either of thoughs locked?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Nope open fronts, both in 4 low.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I would change the wheel bearings, I would bet that they are stock, and it is one less thing to be worried about. The $20 is well worth the piece of mind...

hick

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals