• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

installing 2.8 in offroad truck

robo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Building a 2.8 to race on an off road track. I need to know the cheapest and easiest way to go as far as ignition.Also want to know what cam should i use . i do not want to go with and giant cam but mid range.

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The cheapest, simplest, decent ignition is to use an early 2.6 / 2.8 distributor with vacuum and / or centrifugal advance and a suitable coil and a Pertronix electronic ignition kit to replace the points.

The cheapest, simplest, upgraded ignition is to use a 2.8 Duraspark distributor and control unit (amplifier) to replace the ECU and TFI / EEC-IV distributor ignition.

The best (in my opinion, without restoring to fabricating parts) option on a carb'd truck is to use an upgraded Performance Distributors 2.8 Duraspark unit and an MSD box to replace the stock Duraspark control unit. Of course this is also one of the more expensive options. The distributor is around $300 and the MSD box around $300, plus coil.

According to the FAQ's / Tech Articles there are cams available from CamCraft (never heard of them), Crane (through Jeg's / Summit), and Racer Walsh. The Racer Walsh info is as follows:

2.6/2.8 V6 cams
Stage 1 cam gives a smooth idle and low and mid range power boost without sacrificing economy. Stage 2 cam is a street/competition grind. Higher lift and increased overlap give a rougher idle. Good midrange power increase. Specify engine year when ordering: '72-'83 had smaller cam journal size than later years.
6411 STAGE 1 CAM (260 DUR 425" LIFT)
6412 STAGE 2 CAM (264 DUR 448" LIFT)
6477 VALVE SPRING SET 2.6/2.8 V6
6449 RETAINER SET STEEL
6489 PUSHROD SET (STOCK REPLACEMENT)
6487 LIFTER SET (STOCK REPLACEMENT)

Let me know if you have any questions! There are also intake manifolds and carburetor options, header options, etc... but beware they can be pricey.

Last edited:

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual
cheepest ignition breaker points.
are you going to do any head work? (advisable)

Bob

robo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i was not planning to do any headwork. Why would there be a reason to do head work.

gfbgreaser289

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
turd
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
would it be worth port and polishing my heads putting a cam and offy 4 barrel on my 85 2.8l or just swap in a 302 c4 set up???????

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual
would it be worth port and polishing my heads putting a cam and offy 4 barrel on my 85 2.8l or just swap in a 302 c4 set up???????
absolutely! take the valves out and look around.

Bob

gfbgreaser289

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
turd
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
what does that mean???

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Do you have both sitting side by side? Put in the 302.

If you are doing something with what you have, I would absolutely recommend cleaning up the heads if you know what you are doing. I'd stay away from the ports and concentrate on the pockets below the valves, then have a 3 or 5 angle valve job done. If you are not sure what you are doing, it might be best to stick with the 302. There are swap kits for this, it will be reliable, and cast off Mustang parts are cheap. Stock HO pistons and E7 cylinder heads, and HO cams are available cheap or free.

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual
what does that mean???
it means "have a look for yourself"

the exaust ports on these are very restricted, and should be opened up just a bit. the opening is about 1/2 in by 1 in oval. near the valve guide a lot of materisl can be removed.

Bob

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One plus for the 2.8 (aside from already being in the truck) is that it would be less weight for the suspension to absorb while racing, and it seems to me (with no offroad racing experiance) it would be easier to set up a suspension that could take it.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I raced a 2.8 Ranger for a couple of seasons, Offroad. I was in the top three every race. I only took third because of flats. I raced against big blocks with big money in them. They found out that all that weight wasn't where it was at.
The 2.8 was really slow. I built a new truck with a 3.0, by time I got the truck done they had stopped doing the race.
Porting the heads will do more than installing a big cam. You really just need a port match/bowl blend.

Last edited:

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is a pic from my first race. That jump was huge!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals