• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing ball joints

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 96 f-150 4wd. I noticed the other day it was steering kinda funny.
Tonight i jacked it up and noticed i have quite a bit of movement (up and down).

I looked, and my ball joints apear to be shot. My question is, is this something that i should take to a garage or try to tackle it myself? I am mechanicaly inclined, i am just not used to 4x4's. Those ball joints need to be pressed in?

Also, if i would take it to a garage(not dealership), about how much would i be looking at? Just ballpark. Thanks for any info. Brian

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
$600 wouldn't surprise me, depends on the door labor rate.

I did a later F150 4wd, it was live axle. Wasn't that hard.

Borrowed the BJ tool from the AP store, they charged my CC, then credited it back when I returned the tool. Take your time, clean the old BJs with PB Blaster and be careful when you are fitting the tool spacers, and it helps to have a third hand while you figure out which spacers will work and set up the tool.

I cranked it with a small breaker bar, felt unusually high torque and sure enough, the spacer had slipped and I had been trying to clamp, not push. You'll see what I mean when you heft that tool.

THe only part of YOUR job that would give me pause, is the 4wd hubs. I've done a lot of CV axle work, but never an old hub. That'd force my decision.

I'd do it again. He's one of my buds.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yeah, if you take it to a shop it will be expensive. I had ONE on my '86 F150 (2WD) replaced several years ago and it cost $200. I didn't have the choice of shops at the time though so I may have been able to get a better deal elsewhere.

I would not be afraid to do it myself now. Harbor Freight sells fairly inexpensive balljoint tools. If you have the time I'd say go for it.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I decided to give it a try. Just not sure when i can get to it. Thanks for the info guys.

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its not really hard to do, just make sure you put the hub back in (little peices) in the correct order/torque, and you should be fine, its really not a hard job to do, its really good to know tho, o and ball joint tools are great for doin u joints too, so id buy a press if you think youll hav to do it again

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I got the pass. side tore apart this evening. Talk about a rusted up pos.

I ended up breaking a ratchet and breakover bar. I sure hope the drivers side comes apart better. I think i'll use the heat a little earlier this time. LOL

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
I got the pass. side tore apart this evening. Talk about a rusted up pos.

I ended up breaking a ratchet and breakover bar. I sure hope the drivers side comes apart better. I think i'll use the heat a little earlier this time. LOL
Dude it called pb blaster buy a couple cans. spray it on and let it set. maybe spray it a couple of days in a row prior to trying the other side,

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
torch and a BFG. Dont over heat anything tho, you dont want it getting brittel

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Dude it called pb blaster buy a couple cans. spray it on and let it set. maybe spray it a couple of days in a row prior to trying the other side,
I already used a can of it. If you seen how rusty this thing is you would understand.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I already used a can of it. If you seen how rusty this thing is you would understand.
I think that applies to just about every vehicle in this area that's over 5 years old. Him being from Arizona, I doubt he's ever worked on a car that's spent it's life in the salt belt. And it's a PITA. I've probably busted or had to cut off more bolts that I've actually successfully removed. :D And I keep a couple cans of PB Blaster on hand, and a propane torch, sometimes it's just f'ed and there's nothing you can do.

Pete

camo89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 ranger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
do u have a ball joint press ?

makes dissasembly and reassembly of the balljoints much easier

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah i borrowed one from Auto Zone tonight. I still have the drivers side to do tomorrow
or friday. While i have it apart i am changing the joints in the axle, also i might change the tie rod ends. I am glad i am not paying 70.00/hr. for labor.LOL

Although they could do it faster than i can.

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
I think that applies to just about every vehicle in this area that's over 5 years old. Him being from Arizona, I doubt he's ever worked on a car that's spent it's life in the salt belt. And it's a PITA. I've probably busted or had to cut off more bolts that I've actually successfully removed. :D And I keep a couple cans of PB Blaster on hand, and a propane torch, sometimes it's just f'ed and there's nothing you can do.

Pete
Really other states put salt on the roads. Wow I never heard of that. or is a salt belt like like in the salt mines. I have been to the great salt lake is it anything like that. Where can I find this salt belt, is it something We should all wear? and dose it keep away those pesky vampires and witches?

Really dude just cause I live here doesn't mean I'm from here. I have spent my time In Colo, ID, And IA. and have worked on many cars from these area. for example MY cougar was from WA that whole northern pacific I think there might be salt there with the whole ocean thing. and then my moms charger that lived in IA till approx 15yr ago. Dude really it AZ nobody is from here. we just get stuck here.

Crunchy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Reminds me when I did my BJ's.

Watch your head is all I can say....(with the special clamp tool, when mine popped out of the hole, it sounded like a shotgun going off, made me jump and I banged my head on my fender).

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Reminds me when I did my BJ's.

Watch your head is all I can say....(with the special clamp tool, when mine popped out of the hole, it sounded like a shotgun going off, made me jump and I banged my head on my fender).
That's funny. I had the spindle in the vise when i pressed them out. I was actually lifting my workbench cranking on them, they finally broke loose and came out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals