• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Couple Quick Questions.....

DangerangerHD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ranger:
2wd
2.3l/5spd
Flipped shackles
2 coil cut springs
New dayton standard height shocks

Ok, my front camber is out after cutting the coils and it bounces HORRIBLY , how do I make it bounce less and actually get chicks to ride in it?

Here's some background:

1st
I just flippind the shackles on the same spings they were on instead of switching sides....good, bad, indifferent?

2nd
Do I have to get new beams for the tires to straighten out cause the guy at the parts store and alignment shop say I can use a "camber bolt kit". No idea what that is or how to install....Input?

3rd
DUH, new front springs will make it ride better... but if I can run the camber bolt kit where do I find springs for this truck with the proper drop I cant find drop springs over 2in. If not can i run cut springs on i-beams or do I have to get standards out of the junk yard, do i run stock height or dropped springs for a 2-4 in drop with the beams?

4th
Do I need "drop shocks"?

5th
This is off subject a little but I want to run straight pipes with glass packs and tips out of the roll pan, how can i eliminate the cat but keep fuel economy up and the engine running properly?

Thanks for the help.

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ranger:
2wd
2.3l/5spd
Flipped shackles
2 coil cut springs
New dayton standard height shocks

Ok, my front camber is out after cutting the coils and it bounces HORRIBLY , how do I make it bounce less and actually get chicks to ride in it?

Here's some background:

1st
I just flippind the shackles on the same spings they were on instead of switching sides....good, bad, indifferent?

2nd
Do I have to get new beams for the tires to straighten out cause the guy at the parts store and alignment shop say I can use a "camber bolt kit". No idea what that is or how to install....Input?

3rd
DUH, new front springs will make it ride better... but if I can run the camber bolt kit where do I find springs for this truck with the proper drop I cant find drop springs over 2in. If not can i run cut springs on i-beams or do I have to get standards out of the junk yard, do i run stock height or dropped springs for a 2-4 in drop with the beams?

4th
Do I need "drop shocks"?

5th
This is off subject a little but I want to run straight pipes with glass packs and tips out of the roll pan, how can i eliminate the cat but keep fuel economy up and the engine running properly?

Thanks for the help.
Don't know a lot about lowering but I'll do what I can.

1. Assuming you're talking about your rear leaves, it's probably okay.
2. A camber bolt kit allows for easier aligning. A lot cheaper than new beams and it will get your tires back on track.
3. Ya cut springs weren't a good idea. There should be drop kits out there to get you the right coil, or you could airbag it.
4. Yes. You will need a shock designed for your desired ride height.
5. Can't. Eliminating the cat will cause problems espcially with the O2 sensors. Your truck will sound louder but you'll lose fuel economy in the end and probably some performance.

DangerangerHD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anybody else been through this?

Thanks Kelly! Anyone else been through any of this before?

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
you may want to check if you have any travel left,or if your boncing off the bumpstops most the time.

If you want to get a "stock" ride back look in to getting some of the lowering beams.then you will have the same amount of bump travel s from the factory. that would give you a better ride.as the suspention could still asorb bumps.and you would not have as high of a spring rate, like you have with your cut coils.

fliping your rear shackles is a good thing. that will help with wheel hop,and keeps your factory ride., but check the bump stops and make sure they have some clearance.

you should get shocks that are set up for a lowered suspention if you want a nice ride.I have no ideal what brands, as Im not a lower a truck kind of guy.

to get chicks to ride with you, have a long trunked elephant, lots of 100 dollar bills, or just tell her to "bonce" with it

beam trucks dont have comber "Bolt" kits, they get ecentric bushings, beter known as camber bushing....in theroy you should be able to raise or lower a beam truck such as a ranger 2inches and correct camber with them.There use to be a stickey on here some place that had all the part numbers. IF you dont have a shop that really understands I beam truck near you, you are better off getting the adjustable one's and take them in with you.
http://www.ingallseng.com/parts/59400.htm <----here is what I'm talking about....

leave the cat on the truck, you wont gain anything but noise from removing it.Unless you have a fire breathing motor under the hood.or your currnet cat is plugged up.

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
1. You are fine, the springs don't know left from right. There is a fonr and rear to the spring though FWIW

2. Get the eccentrics for your stock beams. They may put you back in specs but it's hard to tell since you cut your springs. I do know that when I had 2" drop coils only my stock eccentrics put it very close to spec.

3. Yes, you should by 2" drop coils. At one time someone made 3" but I never saw them personally. I believe the rule for cutting springs is DON'T DO IT but if you must cut only a 1/4 coil at a time and install to check height and no more the 1/2 a coil should be cut total. More then that effect spring rates too much.

4. No you don't need drop shocks for the front but you do need them for the rear. If the suspension is changed more then 2" from stock, you need different shocks. I am running stock length shocks up front and have no issue. I've run "dropped" shocks in the past and didn't like what they did to handling.

5. Besides being completely illegal, as in FEDERAL OFFENSE, you will gain nothing from it. If you feel it is failing, get a new one. They only rob 2-3 HP and you aren't going to notice that at all.

canyoncritter is right about the bump stops. Double check that you have some clearance with them. I cut my stockers in 1/2 after dropping my truck. I was sitting 1/2-1" off of them and it created a terrible ride. Another thing that helped my truck was replacing the the stock tranny crossmember with one from suicidedoors. The stock one allows too much movement as the bushings fail. I have their rad. arm crossmember sitting here to waiting to be installed and expect an improvement from that as well.

James

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals