PDA

View Full Version : Cliffs Run?

JohnnyU
09-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Anyone up for a Cliffs run in October/November sometime?

I'm game as long as I haven't sold the Ranger. Otherwise, it'll be a while before I get the Chevy project done....

Redjosh
09-22-2007, 01:59 PM
you should make a run up here man and play with the big boys haha

if i have my truck back together i would be up for a hangover run on new years some where down that way that is not a size nazi

dabomb5756
09-23-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm definitly in for a run over my thanksgiving break. Sometime between Nov 16 - 25.
I am most likely going to badlands.
I will prolly meet the guys from chubfest from ohio and michigan. They were all firefighters and cool as hell. They had some nice rigs that can definitly keep up too.

Here are some teasers to get you away from the mud pit known as cliffs.

http://inlinethumb43.webshots.com/19050/2410076560091349939S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb42.webshots.com/18089/2315013210091349939S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/19138/2841768020091349939S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb56.webshots.com/18423/2316970590091349939S600x600Q85.jpg

check profile link for more of it

Bray D
09-23-2007, 09:59 PM
I won't be doing too much over this winter. next time I get a break from school/work I'm gonna check darst to see if I can find a 1350. there's a guy on pirate sellin a plate/clocking plate (every 6*) with a one piece chromo shaft for the 1350/54 doubler. hopefully I can collect parts and be ready to rock this spring with 2.48 times the crawl ratio

baddis
09-23-2007, 10:50 PM
hey bray d what 1350 do you need? i have a spare e case and a manual pm me

bradz71
09-26-2007, 07:34 PM
I'm planning on having the BII done around Thanksgiving time. I hope to be done with harvest around Halloween, and fieldwork done two weeks after.

I don't have much to finish on the BII, and I have all my parts, its just a matter of putting a few more hours in to get it done.

dabomb5756
09-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Trip to brads to build his rig, anyone?

bradz71
09-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Free beer....

nice heated shop.....

michowski
09-28-2007, 12:06 PM
johnny il be hitting up badlands towards the end of the year. I wasnt to thrilled with cliffs. Seemed just like any forest preserve except this one cost you 22 to get in. Wasnt maintaned and really run down. Id consider going if we could get some board members to go but thats about it.

JohnnyU
09-28-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm going to go to The Cliffs. I've been there before, had a decent time and can get there in just over an hour. If you want to go to Badlands, be my guest. My parents don't subsidize my wheeling hobby, so the ability to drive an hour, wheel most of the day and drive an hour home greatly outweighs driving 2-3 hrs, wheeling, camping a night or two and driving 2-3hrs home. See my point?

I just wanted to make a quick trip before winter sets in and I cut up the Ranger.

dabomb5756
09-28-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm going to go to The Cliffs. I've been there before, had a decent time and can get there in just over an hour. If you want to go to Badlands, be my guest. My parents don't subsidize my wheeling hobby, so the ability to drive an hour, wheel most of the day and drive an hour home greatly outweighs driving 2-3 hrs, wheeling, camping a night or two and driving 2-3hrs home. See my point?

I just wanted to make a quick trip before winter sets in and I cut up the Ranger.

Whoa? Parents, Subsidize, wheeling? I dont think so, my dad lends me his truck and thats it. Fuel, trailer, samurai, fees, food, whatever is on me. :nopityA:

And thats fine if you want to go to cliffs again and have a 'decent' time, i was inviting you (and everyone with a capable rig here) to badlands to wheel with the ohio guys and myself.

But, i have been to cliffs 3 times, rockport twice, and i'm just going to say that there is a reason i spend more money and more time to wheel in indiana. So i'm planning on a great time. :thefinger:

Dangeranger3
09-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Free beer....

nice heated shop.....

I'll help out if someones goin and I can get a ride. I know I haven't met any of you, but it would be nice to know who's givin me some of this helpful info... and who can turn down free labor?

JohnnyU
09-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Whoa? Parents, Subsidize, wheeling? I dont think so, my dad lends me his truck and thats it. Fuel, trailer, samurai, fees, food, whatever is on me.

Whatever helps you sleep at night bud. :annoyed:

Redjosh
09-30-2007, 10:11 AM
you lil guys sure touchy

whats the big deal if it is 3 hours and not 1.5 hours its on a trailer drive up and back all you have is fees and gas lilbit in food what i am geussing 200 bucks total and that is probly on the high side

i just hauled my truck 2 hours back roads to run a bog then pulled 2 hours to get home just to run my truck for 7 hours it cost me 90 in feul(still have half a tank) 20 snack/beer 20 to run 40 at the parts store for a another front driveshaft so its not that expensive to run a day trip

i still want to do a hangover run i should have my d60 in and body work done by then

bradz71
09-30-2007, 12:25 PM
you lil guys sure touchy

whats the big deal if it is 3 hours and not 1.5 hours its on a trailer drive up and back all you have is fees and gas lilbit in food what i am geussing 200 bucks total and that is probly on the high side

i just hauled my truck 2 hours back roads to run a bog then pulled 2 hours to get home just to run my truck for 7 hours it cost me 90 in feul(still have half a tank) 20 snack/beer 20 to run 40 at the parts store for a another front driveshaft so its not that expensive to run a day trip

i still want to do a hangover run i should have my d60 in and body work done by then

Good point---you know John, had you bought a Duramax, you'd get much better mileage and be able to afford to haul your rig the long haul!

JohnnyU
09-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Good point---you know John, had you bought a Duramax, you'd get much better mileage and be able to afford to haul your rig the long haul!

Oh, ouch.

It's more the fact that I don't care to exert the effort into it anymore. I need to get somethings figured out, but give me 6-8 months and I'll be willing to drive anywhere.

dabomb5756
10-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Moab, summer 2010?

bradz71
10-04-2007, 08:26 PM
I was thinking of Hot Springs, early spring/late fall 2008 or 2009.

Redjosh
10-05-2007, 03:49 PM
i am tellin you guys you should make an 8 hour trip where there is 3 parks with rocks trails hill climbs mud all with in an 2 hours of a free place to stay and mud bogs about every weekend

dabomb5756
10-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the invite curl, maybe over the summer, but if i make the 8 hr drive, i'm stayin for more than a night!

I am still planning on badlands, and it looks like two of the guys from ohio are for sure, and i posted on the mijc website and responded to a post on pirate.

Mich are you still wanting to join us?

michowski
10-09-2007, 11:19 PM
im in the process or trying to fix my trans leak. I wanted to get my suspension lift on before I go out again. I got a small list of stuff I wanted to do before I go back out. Stock ride height with 31" tires can only get you so far.

Nehring13
10-11-2007, 08:22 AM
where are the clifffs? and could i have a decent time with my truck on stock height with 31's? if i can and it aint to far id consider it.

michowski
10-11-2007, 11:42 AM
cliffs are in marseilles, IL. Its past joliet down the I80. I got 31's and stock height and it wasnt horrible for me but if I had a lift it would have been a lot more fun. Its so rutted up from people with like 38" tires and huge lifts its really hard to get anywere with a stock height vehicle. It can be done but plan on getting stuck a lot.

bradz71
10-13-2007, 07:34 PM
cliffs are in marseilles, IL. Its past joliet down the I80. I got 31's and stock height and it wasnt horrible for me but if I had a lift it would have been a lot more fun. Its so rutted up from people with like 38" tires and huge lifts its really hard to get anywere with a stock height vehicle. It can be done but plan on getting stuck a lot.

I'd say you can still have fun with 31's, just as long as you have a L/S or locker in the back. I've seen several rigs with 31's running through there without too many problems, and I've ran 31's down there. Just takes a little more go-pedal action.

Don't go there and not expect any body damage, cause it will happen.

michowski
10-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Ive been down there and ive gotten body damage. Not the best place for a stock truck. Ya you can make it through there but after doing it once I wont do it again. Plus a lot of the ruts from people with bigger rigs will get you stuck on a flat road lol. Not exactly fun. Its possible to have fun with 31's and stock vehicle but then your limited to one area going throug the same stuff all day.

dabomb5756
10-31-2007, 12:08 AM
About two more weeks, anyone make any concrete plans?

bradz71
10-31-2007, 03:27 PM
I've gotta go to Pittsburgh to see my brother Thanksgiving weekend, other than that, I plan on having my BII done soon.

Does the Cliffs close down anytime in the Winter months?

michowski
10-31-2007, 03:30 PM
I wont make it. To much to do to the truck and work and more stuff lol. Ive got a lot of parts just need some time to get it together and spend some more money to finish everything off.

dabomb5756
11-16-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm still going to badlands tomorrow if anyone is interested. I havent packed or loaded anything yet, so i will prolly be leaving around 10 or 11 am and getting there around 2 or 3 (1 hr time gain). I will be staying untill sunday night after park close.

bradz71
11-16-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm not going to make a run until New Years now.

We had a tractor fire last Sunday (three months to the day my dad passed away) and it has put us without a tractor and a week behind in fieldwork.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/bradz71/Fire/P1010028.jpg

Haven't had the best of luck this year

Redjosh
11-18-2007, 07:45 PM
damn that sucks brad anyone hurt in the fire what cause the fire

dabomb5756
11-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Wow Brad, that really hits hard. Keep working hard and things will start coming around. Any details on the fire?

Anyways, i ended up going only Sunday, i slept in really late saturday morning and i was feeling lazy lol.
My dad came with me and got some great pictures and videos. We met up with another samurai. A little muddy, but still got some good time on the rocks!

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561492845mpeFRW

About 5 minutes in, on the first rock ledge i went on, i blew the ujoint at the axle. I was rompin on it pretty hard, and started bouncing and POP it went. I knew it was a little loose, but i never got around to changing it. So after i got that swapped with my spare shaft everything went flawless. I definitly used the skidplate and rocksliders more than a couple times today!

Heres a good video with a little wheelie:
http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3013435040091349939FuNWSQ

I couldnt make it up that. In August it was a breeze, but it has been dug out to a 3ft wall and my tires just couldnt get over it.

Heres another good pic i like:
http://inlinethumb54.webshots.com/31861/2965693340091349939S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2965693340091349939fJbVjc)

Anyways, all the pics are on that first link.

bradz71
11-19-2007, 10:21 AM
damn that sucks brad anyone hurt in the fire what cause the fire

Nobody was hurt, my aunt was running it and she got out O.K.

We think cornstalks got into the external brakes on it. The early model Challangers had external brakes, and of course they use the brakes to turn and they just got hot enough to start a fire. It was so hot it warped the drawbar on the chisel plow. I have more pics here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v679/bradz71/Fire/

Dabomb, looks like you had fun! At least one of us is still wheelin'!

Bray D
11-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Brad, that's pretty rough. Keep your head up man and things will start going your way.

Neal, looks like fun. I've been saving so I can build a doubler. I've got just enough money now but I don't wanna deplete my savings right before Christmas. I'm planning on installing it over spring break then making a Badlands trip over memorial day weekend. I'll make a thread in a few months to see if we can spark any interest, maybe RandyM and Jim will make their way over again.

dabomb5756
11-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Cool.

After looking at some of the videos, i think i broke my rear driveshaft from spring wrap (along with the somewhat loose ujoint). Those videos show my rear missing link opening and closing while hopping up the hill, obviously because of the wrap. I bent the spring clamps up so that the spring could flex more, and i can tel they did flex more, but now there is wrap.

I might just bend em back down, or i could build a track bar.

I plan on building my tube front clip, stretching the front a couple more inches and maybe lowering the whole thing an inch or two. I am also going to redo my rear spring hanger so they dont hang down 5 inches below the frame. I kept banging them in the videos and they're all bent up.
Hopefully i can get that stuff done over christmas. I also want to get a stronger steering pump and maybe tap my box for hydro assist. Even though i only have 31's, i would be able to turn effortlessly, and take some of the stress of shackles, springs, and mounts.

Bray D
11-19-2007, 11:41 PM
I can't see what you're talking about in the vids but axle wrap very well could've contributed to the failing u-joint.

I'm sure you've thought it through but I'll chime in with my .02 to give you something to ponder. the short wheelbase is definitely an issue, as seen in the video(s). I agree that lengthing the WB would help immensly when climbing steeper ledges. I would stretch the rear though. Stretching the front WILL help your situation but stretching the rear would be much more usefull. plus you don't have to worry about steering and trac bar angles getting all screwed up. after stretching the rear, you'll have to cut your rear quarter panels anyways so while your at it, clearance for 33's. that will give you slightly better approach/departure angles (keep the shackles from hanging up on everything) plus the extra tire size will help you get up bigger obstacles (ledge in your vid). the bigger tires would then be complimented by the hydro assist as you've already addressed. I'm not sure if I follow your last sentence though.

whatever you do I'm sure it will be an improvement over the current setup and will prove to be time/money well spent.

dabomb5756
11-20-2007, 12:40 AM
I was always planning on stretching the rear, but now i have changed my mind for good.
I have never had a problem with the departure angle at all, or the approach for that matter. The gas tank is right behind the rear axle, and would require me to move it into the bed, which is already tight on space as is. The compcut on samurais is a pain in the ass with alot of body work, i would cut the entire rear, link it, tube it with airshocks and fuel cell before i tried stretching the rear with springs.

The front, all i have to do is move the steering box, 3 holes, and extend the steering shaft. I am going to weld shackle hangers off the front of the frame, and drill holes forward and up, (as close to the frame as possible) in the spring hangers to get about 3 more inches than i have now out of the front. I have wanted to build a tube front clip anyways, and this will make me have to do it so the tire doesnt stuff into the front of the fender.
Stretching the front will also give me a better weight balance with the engine more in the center of the vehicle.

After doing all this i will have a flat belly and the spring mounts will be up and out of the way. I will then lower the entire truck about 2 inches like i said to make it even less tipsy.
If i come across some bigger tires than i will run those until the axles break, then i have my yotas that will bolt up directly with some driveshaft adapters and hy steer arms. The truth is though, i like being low to the ground. I have my 1/4inch angle sliders, and a 3/16inch skidplate, and it slides over all the rocks. I really should shave my diffs to get rid of the drain plug since its probably rubbed down to a nub already.

Bray D
11-20-2007, 09:24 AM
yep, like I said you've probably thought it through. sounds like you have. should be a fun build for ya, I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished product