• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

annyoing tick tick tick

faithofadragon

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
well i just got this 1984 bronco ii 2.8 eddie bauer 4wd and im tryin to make it a lil more reliable...

when i turn it on i get the usual blue smoke from the exhaust and i got a leaking valve cover

well long story short i replaced the valve cover gasket and while i was there i replaced plugs, wires, cap, and rotor still got the smoke and im hearing a lifter noise

from what i read up in search its probably a clogged head or the rocker arm shaft is clogged while looking in the records the previous owner left me he was using cheap 5 w 30 oil in this the entire time he owned it (im the second owner...106k miles)

how would i go about cleaning them?
any other advise to freshen up the engine?

also i have a SMALL(2 out of 10) leak from the front seal do i even bother to fix it?

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You need to replace the oil pump, it isn't pumping enough oil to the lifters.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
well i just got this 1984 bronco ii 2.8 eddie bauer 4wd and im tryin to make it a lil more reliable...

when i turn it on i get the usual blue smoke from the exhaust and i got a leaking valve cover

well long story short i replaced the valve cover gasket and while i was there i replaced plugs, wires, cap, and rotor still got the smoke and im hearing a lifter noise

from what i read up in search its probably a clogged head or the rocker arm shaft is clogged while looking in the records the previous owner left me he was using cheap 5 w 30 oil in this the entire time he owned it (im the second owner...106k miles)

how would i go about cleaning them?
any other advise to freshen up the engine?

also i have a SMALL(2 out of 10) leak from the front seal do i even bother to fix it?
Valve stem seal replacement and adjust valve lash as per haynes manual.I would leave front seal alone for now.See tech library for 2.8 info,you'll be glad you did.

faithofadragon

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You need to replace the oil pump, it isn't pumping enough oil to the lifters.
well wouldnt it be tickin on both sides of the engine....

valve guides do sound like the right idea

man its been a while since i worked on somethin this old at least it LOOKS simple enough although cylinder 3's spark plug was a bitch until i found out about the little pocket near the frame lol

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
The 2.8 has mechanical lifters that are adjusted every 40 to 60 thousand miles,it is possible one is making the noise.

The smoke issue could be valve stem seals,and I bet it is.I pulled the heads and lapped the vaves with valve grinding compound from napa and changed the seals on my engine at 150,000 miles.No smoke and no lifter noise.Fwiw.

trents

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 Durasparked, Stage 1 RV cam, block "0" decked, 350cfm Motorcraft 2150
Transmission
Manual
The 2.8 has mechanical lifters that are adjusted every 40 to 60 thousand miles,it is possible one is making the noise.

The smoke issue could be valve stem seals,and I bet it is.I pulled the heads and lapped the vaves with valve grinding compound from napa and changed the seals on my engine at 150,000 miles.No smoke and no lifter noise.Fwiw.
Don't wait that long! Conventional wisdom has it that ideally, they should be readjusted every 5000 mi. though I don't know anyone who actually does it that often. I do mine about every 10k. It's kind of a pain.

ammocj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And the front seal is pretty easy to replace too.

Al

muddin'ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my 85 broncoll did it too and everybody i talked to that had expirence with the 2.8's said they all did it. Other then having some problems with the carb it never gave me trouble.

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 85 and when i baught the truck it still had the owners manual and it said adjust the lifters every 30K. Is a weak oil pump a common thing with these motors? If so that may have been the cause of my spun bearings.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 85 and when i baught the truck it still had the owners manual and it said adjust the lifters every 30K. Is a weak oil pump a common thing with these motors? If so that may have been the cause of my spun bearings.
23 years of gawd knows what being done to the engine could play a hand in your spun bearings too. Keep in mind that these things are out of the projected service life that Ford built them to last.

I have had my 2.8 low enough on oil it actually died once (shortly after I got it and was getting used to its consumption rate and vehicle maintenance) I topped it of and it ran, was a bigger dog than normal for 2 weeks until the rings seated back in. That was probably 7-8 years ago... in an act of defiance (I think) the thing still has the 40psi of oil pressure at idle when cold. Less when warm, like 10-20 psi, but still enough to keep on keepin on.:icon_thumby:

These things are usually a tough motor to kill, by all means mine should have bit the big one a long time ago...

yoyodyne

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Mine has a LOUD tick tick lifter noise,too...adjusting the valves didn't help it any. Truck runs well, though. I, too, am wondering if a new oil pump will help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals