• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 Ranger -- should I buy??

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok I found this 1985 Ranger in town, 4x4 4cylinder (i thought 4 cylinder only came in 2wd, but I'm no expert that's for sure), 4 speed, camo'd paint. 4 inch lift with 32s. It has an on board air compressor, cb radio, cd player, black in bed tool box, it has a new alternator, battery, plugs, and wires. The guy wants $900 for it, but I think I may be able to talk him down to $700..if that's the case should I go for it? I already got a 99 Ranger which is my DD but I don't really want to offroad it because I don't want to ding it up, so I was thinking of getting this 85 Ranger to offroad in. I haven't talked to the guy yet, so I'm assuming it runs reasonably well..so what do you guys think...yay or nay?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a good deal to me as long as the engine/tranny work good. They did put a 4cyl in 4x4's back then so it could be original. With that much work already done to it and it being 22 years old it could have been swapped in as well.

Joe_Roofer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As long as it does run reasonably well,
I'd say go for it!
Worse case if it is a POS you can recoop a lot of the $ parting out.

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I got an e-mail back from the girl who is selling the truck...she says that it had a 6 cylinder that ceased so they put in a 4cylinder to replace it. She says it need an alignment and a valve cover gasket. Now I'm no truck expert.. how much would it cost and how hard would it be to get replace the valve cover gasket?? and also the difficulty of the job...thanks guys!

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
valve cover=easy under $10 and maybe 2 hours of work.... and an alignment at the shop i used to work at last fall was 49.88

06yellowranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
sound like a pretty good deal to me, especially if all it needs is an alignment and a valve cover gasket, I say go for it

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
sound like a pretty good deal to me, especially if all it needs is an alignment and a valve cover gasket, I say go for it
X2, heck yeah!!! Buy it!

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I'm gonna call her tomorrow and see if I can go look at it and test drive it possibly. She said she won't go lower than 800, but I'm gonna try to use the alignment, valve cover gasket, and if she doesn't have paperwork for the recently rebuilt 4 cylinder, against her to get her to lower it to 700. (heck, i'm only a cart pusher high school kid haha, 100 bucks is a lot)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals