• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Alignment effects of suspension lift over 2 inches?

kicknurass4fun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys im new to this site and hoping someone can answer a couple questions I have. I have a 99 2wd 4cyl ranger. I want put a suspension lift on it and i am wondering about the effects of lifting a ranger over 2 inches with just a spacer, washer, or both? What is the main problem with lifting a ranger over 2 inches? Is it just the camber? Is there anything else like control arm/ball joint interference or anything else i should worry about? I ask this because I put my truck on the alignment rack at work and lifted it from the chasis 2.5 inches to see how the camber would react? At 2.5 inches the camber was still with in spec at -.5* If i put a spacer in for 2.5 would this be ok or is there another problem I would have to worry about? Thanks

motohead771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Dont 1999's have torsion bars? You can just crank the T bars, or get a new torsion bar key if needed. I.E. you have A arms instead of TTB.

kicknurass4fun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The two wheel drive trucks dont have torsion bars.

motohead771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual

muddin'ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
as long as its aligned i don't see anyhting else that would cause a problem.

MOTOHEAD- i'm with you i thought they did too....learn something everyday i guess lol

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
the "edge" 2wd's have t-bars

only problem with just stuffing in springs, or spacer with A-arm truck is you lose down travel. And the ball joints are not at a netrual postion. so they will tend to wear faster than normal.
Also, you will want to check the limits of the bumpstop's cycle the suspention, to bump and limit it before the ball joints bind, or you can end up with a snaped ball joint....

kicknurass4fun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the responses guys!!! I think I am just going to play it safe and stick to the 2 inch lift spring insert. I dont want to end up with any broken ball joints from the increased angle to the ball joint. I am guessing that would be why when ever i find a 2.5 or 3 inch lift kit for the front it always comes with new a-arms.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals