• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 44 and 9"

19MudSlut89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I realize that this has been discussed plenty of times but what years would a D44 and 9" come out of? is it a 66-77 Bronco or what? I plan on selling my dirtbike and doing a SAS and I want to get these axles. Thanks in advance.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Mine are out of a 79, but I wanted the FS stuff............

littlered351

Reaction score
I believe 73 was a split year for dana 30 and dana 44 on the Early Broncos. 74-77 I know had the 44. 76 and 77 were the only years for factory disc brakes.

Hondafreak08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know someone with a set for sale., with front disc brakes ...

its me

19MudSlut89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I know someone with a set for sale., with front disc brakes ...

its me
how much do you want for the set? I have to sell my dirtbike first though.

Hondafreak08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
350 is as low as i go for the set

( selling to get dirt bike back together)- 01 Cr 125 fmf rev pipe boyseen reeds head milled by eric gorr.. When i get another motor it will be ported by eric gorr.

What do you have.

Im in ohio

Hondafreak08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

( selling to get dirt bike back together)- 01 Cr 125 fmf rev pipe boyseen reeds head milled by eric gorr.. When i get another motor it will be ported by eric gorr.

What do you have.

Im in ohio

Thats y my ID name is Hondafreak.. Hate hondas cars

19MudSlut89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

What do you have.

Im in ohio

Thats y my ID name is Hondafreak.. Hate hondas cars
once i get it sold, ill let you know cause driving up there may be worth it

i got a 95 CR250 fmf, pro action susp, renthal, boyseen.. plenty more. ive just been getting out of riding and i go muddin every weekend.. so i dont want to put money in it plus it wont fit on my bed.

lzarnch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 & 1986
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l & 408ci
Transmission
Manual
d44 and 9in

my buddy has a 76 f100 thats has a d44 and 9in from the factory

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Being slightly mislead already, here's some good info to set ya straight and some advice from someone doing exactly what your planning....

- 66-70' have narrow solid axles, Dana 30 and small bearing 9". They have the same track width as a ranger.

- 71-75.5' have Dana 44 w/ drum brakes and small bearing 9", again same track width as the ranger.

- 76-77' have Dana 44 w/ disc brakes and small bearing 9", again same track width as the ranger

- 78-79' have Dana 44 w/disc brakes and big bearing 9", Fullwidth axles approx. 6" wider trackwidth IIRC.

-All pre 80' 4wd F100's and F150's will have some variant of a D44 up front, disc or drum and varying ujoint size, and a 9" rear. The newer the donor truck you can find the better.

Now for the advice....When you got to do the swap, get both axles (Front & Rear) built as much as you can before you even think about swapping....I thought I'd use the cash from my heavier ttb drivetrain (D35 & 8.8) to pay off the build, but ended up goin way over budget, and the trucks been down now for over 6 months, and I'd like to let others learn from my mistakes.

-andrew

Last edited:

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Now for the advice....When you got to do the swap, get both axles (Front & Rear) built as much as you can before you even think about swapping....I thought I'd use the cash from my heavier ttb drivetrain (D35 & 8.8) to pay off the build, but ended up goin way over budget, and the trucks been down now for over 6 months, and I'd like to let others learn from my mistakes.

-andrew
That pretty much sums up the last 5 months of my life as a ranger owner. :icon_rofl:

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Being slightly mislead already, here's some good info to set ya straight and some advice from someone doing exactly what your planning....

- 66-70' have narrow solid axles, Dana 30 and small bearing 9". They have the same track width as a ranger.

- 71-75.5' have Dana 44 w/ drum brakes and small bearing 9", again same track width as the ranger.

- 76-77' have Dana 44 w/ disc brakes and small bearing 9", again same track width as the ranger

- 78-79' have Dana 44 w/disc brakes and big bearing 9", Fullwidth axles approx. 6" wider trackwidth IIRC.

-All pre 80' 4wd F100's and F150's will have some variant of a D44 up front, disc or drum and varying ujoint size, and a 9" rear. The newer the donor truck you can find the better.

-andrew
There is a lot of misinformation in what you posted. Yes, early bronco 9"s came in big bearing and also medium bearing. As did earlier than 78 F150's. Just curious, where'd you get your information from?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i would inquire about the mopar performance d44's for the jeeps.

theres no way i would swap a piece of crap low pinion eb axle in over one of those new jk axles.

no justification for that shit...

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
There is a lot of misinformation in what you posted. Yes, early bronco 9"s came in big bearing and also medium bearing. As did earlier than 78 F150's. Just curious, where'd you get your information from?
Ok...I'm open to criticism and enjoy being corrected so I know as well....I was going by what I've been told by a few people that have owned them (though none are 'experts') and my own experience in what I've come across. If you can provide the correct info, please do so, and I will correct what I have posted, thanks

i would inquire about the mopar performance d44's for the jeeps. Theres no way i would swap a piece of crap low pinion eb axle in over one of those new jk axles. No justification for that shit...
One reason I can think of swapping to the low pinion EBD44 is that it has old school spindles and wheel bearings that theoretically should stand up to more abuse then the smaller and much narrower unit bearings found on the newer axle. Another bonus is being able to run slightly larger brakes from the fullsize trucks, as a bolt on affair. That being said, if you want to spend the cash and pony up the big bucks (I'm damn near there anyways...) you could do a big brake upgrade and find a conversion spindle upgrade for the rubi 44, like the dynatrac ones for the 3/4 and 1 tons. Just my .02 ...

-andrew

Last edited:

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
I see only one advantage to the newer jeep axle. It will match this pattern that is used on some drag racing 9" fullfloat rearends. Other than that. Is is a glorified pile of poo.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals