• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Running one antenna with dual coaxial cables?

LoneRanger93

Reaction score
I've had dual fiberglass whips on my truck for a few years now mounted behind the cab, but since I just got a cap I couldn't use my old brackets. I'm waiting for my new mount to arrive but I am just going to use one antenna this time. I'm just wondering if the unused coax will act as an antenna and interfere with the performance.

So should I get a single coax or can I still use the split coax?

Thanks!

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Can you get away with using the split..probably.

However, the best thing to do is to use a single piece of coax... It won't act as an antenna...coax is shielded. My concern would be the standing wave ratio if you left the open end on there, as well as the possibility of spurious emissions which can cause interference with others (those others include those outside of the CB band (!!!))

LoneRanger93

Reaction score
Can you get away with using the split..probably.

However, the best thing to do is to use a single piece of coax... It won't act as an antenna...coax is shielded. My concern would be the standing wave ratio if you left the open end on there, as well as the possibility of spurious emissions which can cause interference with others (those others include those outside of the CB band (!!!))
a single coax is cheap enough, I don't have a problem snaggin one and doin it right. I just thought I could be lazy:D

nightshift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Try It

I just re-read your post. I missed the part about the cap (Sleep deprivation. Sorry about that).

If you're set on a single antenna, definitely get a single coax, 50 ohm, like rg58u, mini 8, or lmr240. Try to stay away from the Radio Shack cable, as it is generally of mediocre quality. Again, Firestik and others have a cable assembly for you if you're not into putting one together yourself.

You'll probably get the best performance & pattern if you mount your antenna permanently in the middle of the roof of your cab. If get the Wilson 1000, you'll get a dynamite antenna with the coax harness and everything. It's not the greatest coax, but it'll do. Whatever antenna you use, you must buy or borrow an SWR meter (they're pretty cheap) and adjust the length of your antenna for the lowest SWR. Money and effort spent on your antenna system will give you the best bang for your buck.

Have fun with it.

Last edited:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
you better put a dummy load on the unused cable or you will burn out your finals. or get some some Rg-58, any multiple of 3' works fine. 50 ohm works better that 75 ohm for your SWR on a single stick. you use Rg-59 (75 ohm) for 2 sticks. if you use twins then your sticks should be separated by atleast 7'. This why I get better range with a single 60" antenna with 18' of Rg-58 than I did with twin 102" whips that where only 6' apart.

right now I got an SWR of less than 1.2:1 on channel 19 ........ I couldn't get that with airforce equipment under labratory conditions. I can walk over people for 20 miles and receive for 22 miles with a stock cobra 29 and a 60" K40 tunable fiberglass whip

always always always always calibrate your SWR for the channel you use most of the time.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals