• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Heating coil springs to lower front end?

crsevns90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
How good does heating up the front coil springs with a torch to give it a 3" drop work? ( take them out of the truck to do it of course!) Would it be a rough ride? Anybody tried it?

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
it takes the "spring" out of the spring steel. and when you do it that way you leave the springs int he truck. heat the springs, and they will sag.

your better off to cut the springs if your going to go the ghetto route like that.

Last edited:

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I cut mine and I still have all the "springyness" (if you could call it that) in my springs.

I only have 1 1/2" of I-beam travel, but I don't hit the hard bumps.

Cut them... better than heating!

keith0486

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
heating them turns your spring in to just rolled up metal rods put it that way

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
PLEASE dont heat your springs!

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
Besides the heat altering the spring rate, you'll have a very hard time matching sides. This is NOT the way to lower you truck. Even cutting coils is wrong, I would only cut 1/4 to 1/2 a coil out of any coil spring. More then that and you start changing spring rates. Buy the coils, they are cheap.

James

thoughtcriminal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 (until it breaks anyway)
Transmission
Manual
please tell me your joking.

Spring steel is specially tempered to be, for lack of a better word, "springy". If you heat the springs, it will lose that temper and springyness. Doing so will be extremely dangerous. The springs will become weak and be much more likely to break or give out, which could kill or injure you and others.

rat_ranger

December 2009 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
it may have been acceptable in the 50s, but the time is now for real drop springs. they are cheap and much better matched than heating or cutting coils. IIRC chassis tech makes a 3 inch spring for 98+ rangers. just be sure to get good cambur adjusters or it wont align.

Army

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Save your money in a little jar until you get enough for a real drop kit. More than worth the wait.

Don't destroy what you can replace.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Actually, if it is done by someone who knows what they are doing, it is a good inexpensive way to lower a vehicle. I had it done to a 68 Fairlane 500 within 6 months from the time I bought it new. It was done with the springs in the car. The whole spring is not heated, only near the bottom and when that area gets hot enough to lose its spring rate, it just lays down and the heat is spiraled along the bottom until you get the ride height you want. Those coils just lay on each other. The rest of the spring still maintains its spring rate. The real trick is to get it equal on both sides. I watched from the front while the guy was doing it and when it looked level, side to side, I told him to stop. We then measured it to be sure and it was perfect.

I only lowered the front about two inches and it had little effect on the ride of the car. I just had to be a little more careful going through big dips because it would bottom out easier. I drove that car with those heated spring for 6 years and never had a problem with them. I had it aligned right after lowering it and a couple more times while I had it. The front tires wore very well and the alignment held well. The rear tires didn't wear so well because I loved to drive that car sideways (I guess they call it drifting now). The car handled much better after lowering the front. That era of cars stock ride height was too high back then.

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a set of Springtech 3" Drop Springs for the Gen 3 Rangers - PM me if you are interested . . .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals