• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

paint fades very quickly after a polish

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know why but my '88 stx's paint fades very quick. The previous owner gave it a polish every 6 months. It has the orignal paint and after a polish the truck looks like new, maybe better. the last time i polished it was may 31st and today i polished the hood and one fender and the rest of it looks horrible, very faded. Does anyone have any ideas why it fades so quick and so fast? At night i park it inside, weekends it pretty much stays inside. and at work it's in the sun about 6 1/2 hours out of 8. and if it makes any difference it's red. Other people i work with have red, green, blue, and white vehicles and never polish them and they sit outside all the time and in the sun when ever the sun is out. any thoughts?

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's because your paint isn't a clear coat. There's very little to stop the UV rays from damaging the paint quickly. I have a friend with an 88 S-10 that has the same problem. Your options are: 1) continue polishing/buffing on a regular basis 2) do a complete repaint of the vehicle with a 2-stage (base coat/clear coat) paint job or 3) learn to love the faded pink you'll eventually get with no maintenance.

The reason your coworkers cars don't fade is because they are clear coated, which contains a UV blocker. Although their cars will fade, it'll take a lot longer. Probably decades....

Personally, I vote for option 4, tape off the STX stripes and flat black the entire thing. You do have the large-and-in-charge STX stripes on the side right?

Hope this helps.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
oxidization? whats that!

i waxed that pig once. it shined for about 6 hours before it deteriorated back to that state :dntknw: .

people will try to tell you to use a rubbing compound and power buffer, ect...but i can tell you it wont work. the paint is shot.

ford reds never held out well anyway...

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a stx sticker but not the huge one. here's a pic when i first got it after i took off the "3 story" camper shell. It's a litte dirty/dusty in the pic and it looks waaay better in person. I guess i need to get my '86 back on the road and just drive my stx when it's cloudy out :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals