• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newb with?'s

STANG3O2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Well I have some plans for my bronco. But have a lot of questions before I start. My plan is to drop the 3.8l out of my 94' Cougar into the bronco. And as I've been reading up on swap how to's. And have ran into a few things that are still unclear.

First, involves the trans. What trans do I need? Can the a4ld be adapted to the 3.8l? Or can I drop in the motor and the 4R70W out of the cougar into the bronco? Or does this swap need a mandatory c4 or c5?

Second, I plan to add a 3" body lift at the same time of the motor swap. What little things should I expect to have to replace at the same time? Brake lines?

Third, what do I have to do for motor mounts? I see James Duff has motor mounts for a 5.0 swap. Will these also work for the 3.8l?

STANG3O2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Did I post this in the wrong thread? Or has no one ever done this swap before?

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
It isn't worth the effort... it's as much work to put a 3.8L into a RBV as it is a small block V8, and you get less power and reliability.

First, involves the trans. What trans do I need? Can the a4ld be adapted to the 3.8l? Or can I drop in the motor and the 4R70W out of the cougar into the bronco? Or does this swap need a mandatory c4 or c5?
One from a 3.8L or a small block. You can use the 4R70W if you buy a $500 adapter to use the stock t-case...

Second, I plan to add a 3" body lift at the same time of the motor swap. What little things should I expect to have to replace at the same time? Brake lines?
Steering shaft extension, trim the floor for the t-case shifter to get into low...

Third, what do I have to do for motor mounts? I see James Duff has motor mounts for a 5.0 swap. Will these also work for the 3.8l?
James duff mounts bring the suck. Yes, the 3.8L uses small block mounts.

STANG3O2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, for the reply. Since I already have the donor car I figure that its worth it. Even if it takes a little exta effort.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You can use the 4R70W if you buy a $500 adapter to use the stock t-case...
That adapter isn't made any more so you'd have to look for a used one.

I wasn't sure if the 3.8L used the small block bell pattern or not. Obviously it does.

STANG3O2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Well I gues I'll be looking to do this swap sooner than I had thought. I drove the bronco into work today, about 35 miles. And slowly the trans started shifting eraticly and sliping from time to time. Hopefully I can get back home with no issues.

chiefinbig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have been thinking about doing the same swap. only diffrence is the 3.8 I have is outta
a thunderbird sc. I personaly think that you get more bang with this combo vrs. the
small block. a little tweak here and there with the supercharged 3.8 and you can keep up
with the 5.0 and still save weight. any who lmk how this works for you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals