• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Error Code 214 CID circuit failure

blairwag

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Gang. I changed the oil and flushed the antifreeze Sunday, routine maintenance. Shortly after, the CHECK ENGINE light is on. I have an AutoXray 5000 engine scanner. Pulled the codes and got a 214 memory error code: Cylinder Identification circuit failure. I've reseated the connector to the distributor block and to the crankshaft sensor. Still no good. I cleared the code, but it returns almost immediately. Error remains consistent.

I've read this is likely a wiring/open circuit issue, or a sensor/electronic problem. I tend to doubt wiring is bad, so I suspect a sensor. Supposed to be one of the following: Crankshaft position sensor, Camshaft Position sensor, Ignition control module, or PCM.

Question: How do I scan or pull "p-codes" or, basically, how do I diagnose this to the ailing unit?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you "tend to doubt" that wiring is bad, this is over your head.

Bad wiring is a very frequent cause of codes.

blairwag

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I'm not sure I agree. I guess a better way of say it would be: I'd like to rule out the sensors. I suspect testing the sensors would be easier to do than testing for faulty wiring. I'm pretty convinced that replacing the sensors would be easier to replace than faulty or gone-bad wiring. So, I'm *HOPING* my problem is a faulty sensor.

It's not exactly over my head. I may not be a pro mechanic, but I think I have the aptitude and ability to address this error code. The Ford service manuals aren't (that I have) written for the DIY guy at home (like me). So, I'm just looking for a little help from someone who knows.

I've read about tests using a DVOM (digital volt meter), set to monitor <5vDC using a break out box (likely one I'd have to fabricate) to test for a > 0.1 volt variation in signal from both the CMP and the CKP. I can do this. I was kind of looking or clarification as to whether this is the best approach.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The technique for avoiding a breakout box (which no one -- including a number of dealers -- really has) is called "backprobing." Use a straight pininserted into the computer connector, and grab it with an alligator clip. You can often stick straight probes right in.

The easiest way is to voltage-probe the functioning circuit and see where the signal gets lost.

Ruling out sensors requires checking power and ground for each of them. Not a bad idea, but it's not called for if you can see the sensor output....

This would be quite a lot easier to do with a DSO, but you can probably use a tach to detect the signal.

blairwag

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Backprobing! I can handle that. I've read about it, but never gotten such a good description. It makes sense. And, I can definitely do that. Seems easier than making a breakout box or block. Question: when back probing, do I do this with the wiring harness connected to the sensor in question, or do I disconnect the wiring harness connector from the sensor? Would seen to me that it should remain connected, but I don't know if the load from the circuit would skew my measurements.

shadetree63

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Explorer
Transmission
Manual
I've got the same persistent code on my 94 Explorer Sport 4.0, V6, stock.
I also have a problem after 20-30 minutes run time of engine cutting out under acceleration. Runs perfect when it's cold on short trips.
I left it idling after running about two miles yesterday and after 10 minutes got back in and ran down the road. I could barely accelerate from a stop or going down the road.
If I put the pedal to the floor, it would clear up and accelerate. To overcome the situation, I have to keep the engine north of 1500rpm or it won't go...
The only code at the moment is the 214...
Any ideas where to start?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals