• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

duraspark conversion

FCXBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 and 2000
Make / Model
Ford, Dodge
Engine Size
2.8v6
Transmission
Manual

trents

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 Durasparked, Stage 1 RV cam, block "0" decked, 350cfm Motorcraft 2150
Transmission
Manual
Skippy gave good advice. I used the '76 Pinto as a reference vehicle on my DS conversion. You may need to get new plug wires as I'm not sure the '79 Pinto had gone with the larger, two piece distributor cap with male posts like the '84 oem distributor or still used the small, one piece cap with female posts like the '76. The only piece you can't get new or remanufactured from the parts house is the wire harness. That you will have to get off a junker but any mid or late 70's V8-V6 will work as long as it had Duraspark, which most of them did. Also be aware that there was some variation in the color coding of the wires coming out of the fire wall on the Rangers which has thrown some guys off who were trying to follow the instructions. I think by now those variations have been documented and the instructions updated, however. The main thing is finding the wire coming out of the firewall that is hot only when the ignition key is "on". That wire is the one that goes to the "+" side of the coil. Use an electrical tester with a pointed probe to find that wire.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
The cap and rotor for 79 pinto is perfect,also a adapter and it is male posts.I
got the wire harness at napa,one end for distributor,one end for duraspark module.added some 14 awg wire between both adapters and $5 worth of black wire loom to cover wire and butt splices.

All my parts came from napa except the carb which i bought new in the box from summit.

I also used my stock coil,works just fine.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As for the wiring harness, I've spliced in trailer connectors on some conversions. They are water resistant like the factory connectors.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals