• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

throttle response

85general

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 V6 durasparked holley 350
Transmission
Manual
anyone who knows how to improve throttle response do reply !! 2.8 with duraspark an holley 350 #58 jets, response is snappy goin up an slow comin down.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
anyone who knows how to improve throttle response do reply !! 2.8 with duraspark an holley 350 #58 jets, response is snappy goin up an slow comin down.
Get your vacuum up a little higher than 14 or 15".Try advancing the timing,readjusting idle richness screws.I believe you should be able to
get 18",I suspect the power valve is staying open to long.

Remember,power valve opens at half your vacuum at wot and may not be closing fast enough.If you are unable to get the vacuum up,you're going to
need a 75 power valve @14 or 15".

85general

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok went an got a better vacuum gauge an if it idles at 1300-1400 is a very steady 16 on the vacuum if it idles at about 1100 its 13-14 vacuum so lets say 15 vacuum i should get the 75 power valve? what do they come with stock?

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
ok went an got a better vacuum gauge an if it idles at 1300-1400 is a very steady 16 on the vacuum if it idles at about 1100 its 13-14 vacuum so lets say 15 vacuum i should get the 75 power valve? what do they come with stock?

#85 power valve.Try the return spring first,might save you some cash.

http://www.mortec.com/carbtip1.htm

85general

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
#85? and the return spring i already had on there iv tried a bunch of different ones my pedal gets stiffer thats about the only change still acts the same. so if my vacuum at idle is around 14-15 (it can go higher but i really dont like the higher idle) then wouldnt that be the #75 valve? take idle vacuum reading an divide by 2 right?

85general

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh gotcha read wrong, sorry

trents

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 Durasparked, Stage 1 RV cam, block "0" decked, 350cfm Motorcraft 2150
Transmission
Manual
I have a question about your idle speed. Why are you idling at 1100+ rpm? Stock is about 800. Can you kill the engine by turning your idle mixture jets all the way in? If not, the carb needs rebuilding and that could explain your problems with slow return to idle.

85general

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea if you turn em in to far it dies, i got it all worked out with some timing adjustments, mixture adjustments with the vacuum gauge, just dies when i hit the brakes? thinkin bout throwin the #61 jets back in it has 58's in it now an it just started dieing when i got it running decent

trents

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 Durasparked, Stage 1 RV cam, block "0" decked, 350cfm Motorcraft 2150
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't think changing the main jets would have any effect on the dying problem when you let off the gas. Once you let off the gas you take take the main jets out of the equation. That's an idle circuit issue or vacuum leak, sounds like to me. Is this a new carb or a used one? What's your vacuum reading now and at what idle rpm? Should be 16 inches or better at 800 rpm unless you have a radical cam in it or bad valves. Mine runs 18-20 inches with a stage 1 RV cam which has a little longer duration than the stock cam.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals