• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Runnin open headers

89_Black_Beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89'
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I got an 89' with a 4L in it. I am running pacesetter headers with the o2 sens in y-pipe. Would running open headers hurt the motor at all? I would take off the exhaust where the y-pipe comes together at the cat.

Yea i know about the fumes being under the cab and all that so I don't need input about that kind of stuff. Also I know it won't pass inspection.

Just wondering if it would hurt the motor?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Probably not, but whay woudl you want to? Its sounds like shit, there are plenty of ways to be loud and obnoxious that sound better than open headers.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Long tubes I can assume. You won't hurt anything. You probably wouldn't hurt anything with shorties or manifolds either. Do you have a reason for no exhuast system or just driving it to the shop? If you run it around town for more than a week like that your truck will probably get keyed by the neighbors and others will make fun of you.

Matt

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
+3 on being very annoying...i tried it with my manifolds while i was adding dual exhaust...that was bad enough. headers would be even louder.

if they are long tubes, aside from absolutely killing all bottom end torque...you probably wont cause any long term damage. if they are shorties, on top of killing the engines bottom end power, you are very likely to pit the crap out of your exhaust valves from the rapid heating and cooling they will experience. this will cause long term damage in the form of low compression.

bigpotato555

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
what is the difference between long tube and shorties?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
did i mention you're truck will be absolutely gutless? :lame:

shorties are generally...short. wheras long tube headers are.....longer. :icon_thumby:

i dont know if anyone even makes long tubes for any RBV. long tubes generally extend past the firewall, underneath the floor pan. shorties usually join the exhuast inside the engine compartment.

89_Black_Beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89'
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
yea, they're shorties...

I never saw any longtubes on 4.0... never saw anyone that makes them...

I know about how annoying it would be cause I started it up with just headers on it.

If I took it out with open headers and put it to the floor, hammer down and ran through the gears, what it would do and if so what it could possibly hurt???

I thought it would burn up the valves... I might do it to drive it to my buddy's shop, hes got a pit. Its a lot nicer doing exhaust standing in a pit than laying in stones at my house.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
one trip isnt going to hurt anything. if your only doing this to get it to a shop and install the exhaust, i would have no reservation on doing so. just dont run it like this for the long term or else your going to burn those valves up.

whats your plans for exhaust?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
My brother has a set of long tubes on his 2.9L. Where they are from no idea but they are a mother get on and off on such a tiny engine.

Matt

bigpotato555

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
is a glasspack enough to make back pressure and not burn the valve? or do i need a cat and real muffler?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
muffler choice has nothing to do with it, pipe length does. its not a "backpressure" thing, its a heat thing.

a few feet of pipe is enough to keep the valves from being damaged (or at least extend their lives greatly). you're still going to have noticeably less power if the two banks of cylinders never meet. in other words, you need a y-pipe or crossover, and enough pipe to support scavanging (i'd go at least to the back of the front doors...if not all the way to the front of the back tires)

if i knew exactly what you are trying to accomplish i might be able to give more specifics.

bigpotato555

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yeah right now i have a y pipe and a strait pipe that end under the seat...i was looking to run i dual all the way to the back but i having issu with bending pipe...so i ended up like this...but i will try to put a glasspack and exit the tail pipe before the rear wheel.but am i good right now?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ya you should be fine like that.

any exhaust shop should be able to set you up with a decent dual system for cheap:

89_Black_Beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89'
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm running hollowed cats and flowmaser original 40 muff. and it sounds decent now but it hangs down to low for me when I go wheelin.

Well i'm gonna run shortie pacesetters with the pacesetter ypipe. I'm gonna split it into duals after the ypipe. then the ypipe acts like a xpipe. after i split the exhaust at the ypipe i'm gonna run a couple feet of straight pipe (true duals) and dump it.

anyone do this before?

does it sounds like crap?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Hollow cats sound like crap, been there done that, either run a cat or completly rid of them (I of course would never suggest such illegal activity ;) ). Run the exhaust out in front of the tire(s), it sounds best there IMHO.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals