• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Straight Mufflers (Glasspack)

RyanD2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wanted to get some opinions on these types of mufflers.

I currently have a stock exhaust setup that I had replaced about 4 months ago. The new muffler the shop put on seems like it hangs lower than the original one, can see it under the frame.

In any event, I don't like it. I was thinking of running something like a glasspack to keep it looking cleaner. I'm not too worried about the sound, if it sounds close to stock that is fine. Stock performance would be accecptable as well, I don't drive the truck hard. Are they something I could just clamp on to the current stock setup after removing the muffler? I was thinking of having a setup that was slightly hidden until exit, and of course keep it on the cheaper side.

The truck is a 2000 Supercab 4.0.

Thanks for the input.

This is not the model I would want, but something similar in design.

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=FLT&MfrPartNumber=50225FLT&CategoryCode=3333C

colinrmitchell

Feels good, man.
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I have the Summit glasspack, which is cheap (~$30) and sounds alright. It's reall low-profile, maybe 6 inches in diameter. I don't know about the clamp-on, though. If the muffler is welded to two lengths of pipe, you would need new pipe with your new muffler (or cut the old ones). You would need a flange to attach to the catalytic converter, which would need to be welded on (I'm pretty sure).

RyanD2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Everything now is clamped together, I wouldn't have to do anything to the pipe after the cat. Guess I was more concerned with hangers and the best place to hang everything from. Forgot to mention that.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you'll need to add at least one hanger to support the weight of the glasspack. almost any auto parts store will have in stock a universal-type hanger that is attached to the exhaust via one of the u-bolts you will by using to hold the exhaust together, and to the frame via a bolt and nut.

LITTLE FOOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats what i got on my truck( flow tech purple hornie turn down). sounds great. there is a difference in high end power.

yes you will need to use some type pf hanger

bergz0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
leveling kit
Tire Size
31x10.50x15
go flowwmaster 40 series. try to get the older ones, mine sounds sick

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My opinion, Flowmasters are overpriced, overrated, and restrictive. I like Cherrybombs, and this style muffler. The Flowmaster also has a "tinny" sound at certain levels that is irritating, and more especially on duals.:)shady

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
Wanted to get some opinions on these types of mufflers.

I currently have a stock exhaust setup that I had replaced about 4 months ago. The new muffler the shop put on seems like it hangs lower than the original one, can see it under the frame.

In any event, I don't like it. I was thinking of running something like a glasspack to keep it looking cleaner. I'm not too worried about the sound, if it sounds close to stock that is fine. Stock performance would be accecptable as well, I don't drive the truck hard. Are they something I could just clamp on to the current stock setup after removing the muffler? I was thinking of having a setup that was slightly hidden until exit, and of course keep it on the cheaper side.

The truck is a 2000 Supercab 4.0.

Thanks for the input.

This is not the model I would want, but something similar in design.

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=FLT&MfrPartNumber=50225FLT&CategoryCode=3333C
I went with the Cherry Bomb Glasspack, 2-1/2 in, 2-1/2 out, sounds better than stock, and tucks up under the truck better also. Also there is Thrush Glasspacks, which are even cheaper, but are virtually the same glasspack

gnardoom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
personally I think glasspacks sound like shit, and even worse when your downshifting. flowmaster original 40 series (not delta 40) is the best sounding muffler ever, for something you have to hear every day I would spend the extra $40. you wont notice a difference in power, it just sounds like it adds more. If you want it to sound even better take the cat off too. My last truck had a 2.9 with a flowmaster 40 and 2.5" pipe all the way back with no cat random people would always come up and say its the best sounding V6 they have ever heard, it gave it a bit of a 5.0L sound. The 92' 4.0L I have now has stock exhaust I got sick of the noise all together, maybe on a V8 I would want it loud

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals