• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Exhuast Note

86_cookiemonster

November '08 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
So I have been thinking about the exhuast note of an engine. I have begun to wounder about why it is that the 3.8 v6 has a nice low rumble (kinda like a mini v8) where as the 4.0 v6 doesn't. It would seem to me that the 4.0 should have the deeper, meater exhuast note, but yet this is not so. (I might be alone in thinking that the 3.8 sounds better than the 4.0)
So I was woundering if anyone else had looked into/wounder about this.
I tried looking up the diffrencence in the motor to see if i could figure it out.

The essex is a 90 v6, the cologne(4.0) is a 60 v6.

then I looked at the relation ship to bore and stroke in the essex vs the 4.0. The essex is closer to being a squared off motor.

Then i looked at the cam specs, the 3.8 is slightly more "agressive"

The fireing orders are the same,
the number of valves are the same,
The essex has more horsepower than the 4.0

I also have been doing comparissons on the same exhuast system (diameter pipes, and mufflers ext) on both engines, and the essex just sounds better accrosed the board (again just my opinion).

Does anyone know which of these is related more to the exhuast note than the other.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
It can depend on a lot of factors, I would attribute most of it to the 90 degree block (dont't ask me why), also of course even the slightest differences in the exhaust can effect the sound as well.. I've noticed with the same exact exhaust my 4.0 sounds very close to my old 2.9 but a bit deeper and it's noticably quieter (which is kinda nice for a change).

86_cookiemonster

November '08 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
It can depend on a lot of factors, I would attribute most of it to the 90 degree block (dont't ask me why), also of course even the slightest differences in the exhaust can effect the sound as well.. I've noticed with the same exact exhaust my 4.0 sounds very close to my old 2.9 but a bit deeper and it's noticably quieter (which is kinda nice for a change).
yea i was thinking it would be the 90 degree part too. But a buddy of mine told me my a@@ sucks canal water. So the question is out there.
What would be cool would be if we could get an acustics engineer to help us out. I know harely hires guys to design exhuast to make sure Harely's maintain that manly sound.

I wounder if OHC would change the sound of the motor.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals