• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power Steering Pulley not going on

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Pretty much summed up in the title.

I changed my power steering pump out and can not get the new power steering pulley to fully seat (needs to go about another quarter inch). I've used just the wrenches, and wrenches with cheater bars but it still won't budge. In the process I wrecked 2 bolts and a couple of washers. :black_eye:

Anybody have a suggestion?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Did you lube it with "high pressure" lubricant (like engine assembly lube)?

Sometimes a press fit welds itself on if you don't. You may have to cut it off.

But try pulling it off, and then installing with an actual PS pulley installer (the bearing helps a lot).

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If I remember right I think I had to take mine back off and put some grease on it to get it seated all the way. NOT a lot though, just enough to shine up the shaft.

Allen

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
One of the bolts was supplied with the pump as the "installation kit" (real fancy; a bolt, washer, and nut), but I will propably go to Autozone and see if I can rent an installer.

I sprayed the shaft with PB Blaster, but that did not seem to help all that much. :dunno:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If it isn't "high pressure" or "extreme pressure" lubricant, it will just get pushed out of the way by the pulley. PB Blaster might as well be air.

You can BUY a halfway decent (good enough) remover/installer from Harbor Freight for around $10.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have had good luck with putting the pulley in the oven on the lowest setting for a bit to expand it. Also putting the pump in the freezer at the same time if it's off the truck. I put the last pulley on this way using a pair of mechanics gloves and that was it. Works nice.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I had a B$#%@ of a time puttig mine on. I tried wrenches with an installer, an impact, etc, etc. Finally broke down and took it to NAPA and they installed it. He said it was the hardest pully he's ever installed.

My replacement pulley was a Dorman. That's usually what most places stock.

It may just be a hair off from being correct. Maybe a glitch from standard to metric. They are made in China.......

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
FYI, a piece of steel will easily tolerate 400 deg, probably much more (though it may take the paint off). I wouldn't put a pump in anything, food gets around; ATF flavored frozen waffles are not good. And the freezer doesn't do very much compared to the oven. Just leave it in the truck; it will warm up to ambient as you install it anyway.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
FYI, a piece of steel will easily tolerate 400 deg, probably much more (though it may take the paint off). I wouldn't put a pump in anything, food gets around; ATF flavored frozen waffles are not good. And the freezer doesn't do very much compared to the oven. Just leave it in the truck; it will warm up to ambient as you install it anyway.

I always put parts in a big water-tight freezer bag, if I put them in the freezer. This ensures my ATF flavored waffle intake stays low.

And I always put the parts together right in the kitchen, so they have very little time to start climbing/falling towards room temperature.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I put them in the garage freezer. There is nothing in it anyhow. The fridge part however.......

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Many PS pumps need to be installed in the vehicle (or at least on the bracket) prior to having the pulley put on. For 4.0Ls, the bracket is rather unwieldy.

But once again, you're making around 60-70 deg differences with the freezer, and over 300 deg with the oven.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I always throw my harmonic balancer in the oven for a bit before reinstalling it on the crank. Slides on nice and easy that way.

Plus..............I like harmonic balancer tasting chicken......hahaha

Allen

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
The power steering pulley on my 3.0L is plastic, and it is only offered in plastic...atleast from the places that I checked. So I am hesitant to stick it in the oven (yes I understand that it get hot under the hood, but I still do not like the idea of plastic parts in the oven).

My replacement pulley was a Dorman. That's usually what most places stock.
Mine was made by Fenco.

If it isn't "high pressure" or "extreme pressure" lubricant, it will just get pushed out of the way by the pulley. PB Blaster might as well be air.

You can BUY a halfway decent (good enough) remover/installer from Harbor Freight for around $10.
This is true, but I was hoping that the "penetrating lubricant" would work its way in...hoping didn't quite get me far enough though.

Thought about buying one, but Autozones I can use for free. I just pay to get the tool and then get that amount refunded when I bring it back.

Many PS pumps need to be installed in the vehicle (or at least on the bracket) prior to having the pulley put on. For 4.0Ls, the bracket is rather unwieldy.
Same for the 3.0L. Remove pulley, then pump from bracket; install new pump to bracket, and then press on pulley.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Need to make a correction; my pump was made by Fenco, the pulley was a Dorman.

Got the tool from Autozone this afternoon and removed the pulley, lightly sanded the inside of the pulley (I was displacing metal last night...), put a light coating of grease on the pump shaft, and reassembled. It went together much better this time; still needed some help at the end but its done.

Thanks for the help guys! :icon_thumby:

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Glad to hear you got it back together :icon_thumby:

Allen

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals