• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

swapping mustang 5L into 94 b3000 4x4?

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
ok well down the road im thinking about swapping a mustang 5L it into my b3000 4x4 to get some more power the litte 3L does cut it. so i was wondering if its a big challenge or is it something easy if you kno what ur doin?

im fairly good at wrenching and my dad is really good at it so i would be doin it myself with my dad.

also is there any special year of mustang 5L that is better then the others that i should get? thanks

Monty35

Reaction score
There are quite a few sources of info on the 5.0L swap in the tech library, in short though, for your truck you would be looking at a complete revamp of your cooling, drivetrain, powertrain, exhaust, and worst of all, electrical systems under the hood.

Your transmission as far as I know is incompatible (and far to weak if possible), the exhaust is an issue in our trucks because of how close the headers will run to the framerails, there is alot of info on this around this site for you to look into yourself. The oil system will need a remote relocator to clear the steering box, and the radiator will need to be upgraded and tucked under the front rad support to make room for the engine. Electrical fans are recommended, but not always necessary, it depends on how well you push the rad forward.

Electrical systems will need a complete swap over, at very least as far as all underhood wiring systems, possibly some issues with the dash but im no expert.

All in all, there's ALOT of things to consider with the swap, be prepared to spend more than you plan on from the start, you've got help around these parts! Good luck :icon_hornsup::icon_welder:

EDIT: Oh, and you will require either removing, or modifying the heater box on your truck if you have AC installed as the v8 valve covers will contact a small portion.

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks alot monty ive been waitin for a responce on my tread. but thanks i appreciate your help and info

BLACK_RANGER_4X4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
you would be better off using a early 90's explorer with a v-8 for engine and harness. most of the exhaust.

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
oh is the explorer v8 easyier to swap then a mustang 5 L? ok cool thanks

Moose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3 liter V-6
Transmission
Manual
I thnx that the explored would be the wrong chince. More than likely you would find the 4.6 turd of a v8 so you would be better off with swapping you 3.0 for a 4.0L. Easier swap and with minor tuning you could get some serious power out if it. I think if you were gonna go through the trouble of dropping a 5.0 you should put a small diesel in instead. Way more tourqe and much moe awesome.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the 302 ("5.0") was used in '96-'01 explorers and is the easiest route to go for swapping a small block into a ranger. the 4.6 that replaced it in '02 is the same engine used in the mustangs which produces 239 HP stock (and can EASILY be modified for over 300 n/a) to the 302's 215 HP....its not a "turd".

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals