• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ford ttb dana44 spindle work with chevy flat-top knuckle?

broncodave93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
kinda wondering if a spindle off a early 90's ford would work with a knuckle from a chevy. not in the middle of a project, but am considering doing a SAS swap on my 98 explorer and would want the 5x5.5 bolt pattern. I know i would have to use a chevy caliper with the knuckle.

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think so. Seems like the TTB spindle has 8 bolts and the Chevy knuckle has 5. The small bearing Chevy spindles should work with your Ford hubs though.

broncodave93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
oh I read somewhere that the ford ttb spindles have 6 mounting bolts....and the chevys are also 6 if Im not mistaken. Main reason I was asking was kind-of a crazy idea but I thought i might be able to run a spindle and hub/rotor from a 92 bronco since they had 4wheel abs....would like to try to keep the abs working, if its even possible anyway.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Ford D44 TTB spindles are 6-bolt (at least my '92 ones are).

I have no idea if they'd fit the Chevy knuckle though. The big thing would be getting the brakes to line up.

Usually guys go after the '79down Ford stuff to get 5x5.5" on a D44 axle that doesn't have it already.

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
my 84 bronco d44 has 5.5x5 bolt pattern. I hope this helps you.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Technically the are the same pattern and everything would bolt up. But you would have no brakes. The TTB 44 knuckles have the caliper brackets built into them whereas the chevy 44's are setup to have the caliper brackets behind the spindle. It could be bolted together but would not be safe. As the 6 tiny bolts on the spindle would not be able to hold the shear load. The spindles are setup for a tight fit in the knuckle. Putting very little shear load on the studs and only tension load. This allows for a much stronger setup which you would not be able to achieve using the TTB spindles. Hope this helps.

broncodave93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
that makes perfect sense. i wonder if it would be possible to modify the chevy knuckle and spindle to be able to mount an abs speed sensor to work with the tone ring that would be on the hub/rotor from the '92ish bronco

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals