• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What size pipe and what muffler???

marvilusone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I just picked up a 1985 Ranger with the 2.3L and a 5sp. Ive got an Accel oil on it and an homebrew K&N intake. This is going to be a DD for the most part. What I'm wanting to find out is what size pipe should I run for the exhaust and what kind of muffler will give it a little tone but not anything too loud that will resonate inside? I'm looking to stay as cost effective on this as possible. I won't be running a cat either. So far I'm thinking about 2.5 inch pipe with a Cherrybomb brand Turbo muffler.

DeanMLFlame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L, 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2.5 is a little much..i use 2.25 on my 4.0L. It's plenty. I recommened not going over 2.25 otherwise your exhaust velocity will slow down causing the gases behind to start pushing again...like backpressure..sounds weird but it's true. Cherrybomb turbo is a good idea. but i'd go with a flowmaster 50 or 60 series.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
theres no advantage to removing the cat converter......you will not gain power or mileage....not to mention its a hefty fine if the feds find you (there may be local fines on top of that, depending on your area).

i concur with dean on pipe size...2.5 is way too big for a 4 banger....even 2.25 is going to move your power curve up a lot. i'd stick with 2" if it were me, to keep the power in the RPM range where you use it most. if you dont want it to resonate, make sure you exit as far back and out from under the vehicle as possible (no dumps under the cab). mendral bends are your friend....as is a packed muffler.

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
mine has stock exhause manifolds and stock double cat converter with cherrybombs new muffled muffler..

cherry bomb came out with a new muffler that isnt straight threw.. i have it on my truck and i actually noticed a little more top end.. DEAD SERIOUS

check a local muff shop and see if they carry it

i can make a sound clip if ya want

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
stock 2.0 inch to the new 2.25 inch slip over

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
i am in the middle of doing this:
2.5" through a Flowmaster super 44 series, which dumps into a 90 degree mandrel bent 2.5" pipe that dumps before my tire..always wanted to do this..Flowmaster mufflers are great for their price and don't go any bigger than 2.5" on a 4 cyl like mine. Had a turbo, not too bad of a muffler.

Kansasipi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
What Muffler?

I have an '85 w/4.0. I only run the cat, no muffler with a short pipe that turns out a foot in front of the r/rear wheel with a chrome end on it. In fact I have the y pipe to end off the truck right now, I do use headers but stock exhaust is practically the same.

I used the existing hangers on the frame and it is a clean set up that sounds pretty good. Not too loud but friends tell me they know when I'm coming as the tone is distinctive or one of a kind for here. And here is a rural N Central Kansas farm town that has plenty of diversity on trucks, mostly full sized, but nobody chides me on my Ranger.

It has proved itself here,its no beauty queen and I'm proud of it.

But IMHO headers,a cat and short but pro done pipe not only improves low end performance, it just looks good. Like a truck should.

BTW a two full size fords have looked at my setup and did the same, its responsible and economical at the same time.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I am running a 2" pipe with a cherry bomb brand turbo muffler. I have a before tire exit. Works pretty good.

I wouldn't ever go above a 2" pipe. I actually came back down from 2.25 when I redid my exhaust.

Keep the cat if you can.

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
is it just me or does 2.5 inch just look to big i went 2.25 on my 4.0 with one cherry bomb ans a turn down after the rear axle sound bitchen

Kansasipi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
lest you forget

even though you change airflow in or out of a computer controled eng, the computer will adjust for any change you make and and percieved condition that arrises normally on its own.

Just a thought to keep in mind...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals