• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shackle flip... describe

Ric

...RedShred
U.S. Military - Veteran
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
O3 ranger.

I want to bring it down juuuuuuuuuuuust a bit. Nothing much. Lee talked briefly of a shackle flip for a 2" drop. With a 2" drop F/R and pulling my ABS fuse, I might be able to shave a few seconds from my times.

ready, set, describe.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
a shackle flip will get you much more then a "bit" of drop.

shoeboy did it to his gen 2 and got 3-4". its a big drop.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Hmmm. Take a leaf or two out of the spring pack but then you'd lose rate.
Do a sprung-under conversion for maybe a 6" drop (I know a sprung-over on an Explorer gets you about 7") and use lift springs to get you your 2".
Or the shackle flip with lift springs or maybe Explorer springs.
That sounds like a lot of work.
Just thinking outside the box, Ric. :icon_cheers:

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
I think ZMan got only 2'' from doing this. All you have to do is remove the shackles, switch sides while flipping them and bolt them back on. Its fairly simple with the right tools and only cost you a few bucks for bolts. Hell, if you don't like how far it dropped you, just put it back.

They do make replacement shackles and hangers to drop the rear 2-4'' depending on the combination. You could go that way. I wouldn't remove a leaf, been there done that. Also drop leaves are an option as well. A flip kit will net you way too much and you'll probably have to notch the frame.

So, I am guessing the Ranger is turning out to be more fun than you thought?

James

Ric

...RedShred
U.S. Military - Veteran
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've had a pile of Ranger's but this is the first I've ran through the cones. My 96 Turbo truck had a leaf removed and it ruined the main leaf as result, so there will be none of that.
Actually, this is just interum until my 240sx is fixed. It blew a headgasket and the suspension is wasted.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if it were me, id go spring under for added stability and reduced axle wrap, then add-a-leave to gain back a couple inches and stiffen up the rear suspention for cornering. this should get you about where you want it ride height wise.

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
Oh the days of removing that middle leaf. My truck just kept on sagging to the point I ordered new drop leaves. Yes, you have had alot of Rangers. I remember the white one, I think that was your first?

I don't know about wanting the rear to be stiffer. I would actually like to soften the rear up a bit on mine. The front is almost perfect with the KYB MonoMax's but the rear is still too stiff with the Toxic's. I am thinking about going with the KYB GR's (I think that's what they are), they are one step down from the MM's.

James

Jonboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can get a set of re-arched or de-arched springs. I remember a company selling them a few yrs back but I cant recall their name. It may be national spring or something like that. You'll have to do a search on it. I've even seen carbon fiber custom arched springs somewhere. If you find one of these place that sell the springs, you should be able to get the exact spring rate you desire with the ride hieght you want.

Zer0PSI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think ZMan got only 2'' from doing this. All you have to do is remove the shackles, switch sides while flipping them and bolt them back on. Its fairly simple with the right tools and only cost you a few bucks for bolts. Hell, if you don't like how far it dropped you, just put it back.

They do make replacement shackles and hangers to drop the rear 2-4'' depending on the combination. You could go that way. I wouldn't remove a leaf, been there done that. Also drop leaves are an option as well. A flip kit will net you way too much and you'll probably have to notch the frame.

So, I am guessing the Ranger is turning out to be more fun than you thought?

James
How exactly do you do a shackle flip?? And how does it lower the truck?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
CLICK

EDIT: note that the before and after pics are the same on that page. if you look under your truck right now, you'll notice the shackle is on top of the spring. a flip moves the spring above the shackle.

Last edited:

Matts 96 XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ive got a 96 and i pulled the bed hammerd the rivets and switched sides with the hangers it lowered my truck 2in annd i had 5 bucks in bolts. you can do this in just a few hours if u know what your doing. the cons to this was a little extra wheel hop and a stiffer ride due to compressing the shocks. i would send pics but i dnt know how yet.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
If you go spring under, you could run Belltech's to regain some height. It may mess with ride quality, but its an idea...

levi18175

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
if it were me, id go spring under for added stability and reduced axle wrap, then add-a-leave to gain back a couple inches and stiffen up the rear suspention for cornering. this should get you about where you want it ride height wise.
Just a thought, but maybe you should consider this, but instead of using another leaf, use an air helper. A buddy of mine has his 95 done that way, and it hooks up nice.

alittlelow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It's a pretty easy conversion, just grind off the rivets and switch sides and use grade eight bolts with nylocks, or lock washers. 93-97 gets 2 inches, 98 to ? gets 3 inches.

A_farmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Bolts

What size was the grade 8 bolts u had to put in place of the rivets? I am new at this

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals