• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 swap

Nehring13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok, i see that there are people putting 302's in rangers, i didnt think that it would be able to fit without any problems. but i also see its on older gen trucks. i have a 1998 ranger with a stock 3.0 4x4, 5 spd. can i put one in mine, with it being newer without doing anything to the firewall or any other mods. has anyone done it? im looking to do it for some fun, and personally i dont think its possible to beat v-8 power. i have read other threads and people are talking to help but its with specific trucks, so i was looking for info top do it to mine specifically. thanks a lot. any info is helpful.
~Mike
:dntknw:

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
it can be done,just takes money,sweat,research and patience.many different engines have been swapped in a ranger,the tech library on this site has a wealth of info.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
For the newer Rangers without a TTB suspension your best bet is to find a 5.0L Explorer. There are a few reasons. Everything is bolt in, you will be able to pass emissions, and its mostly plug and play. The problem most have with the Explorer setup is transmission and t-case choice. You're stuck with an auto. If you do'nt want the AWD t-case use one from an Expedition. If you try to use any other 302 you are just shooting yourself in the foot. You will pretty much have to start over with all the electronics.

Matt

Nehring13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
will i need the wiring harness from the explorer? and what year explorer should i go with? any or should i shoot for a 1998? thanks.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
The more you get the better. You are going to need all of the engine and transmission harness along with the computer. If you can get the entire vehicle that would honestly be the best and probably cheapest route although the initial cost may tell you different. That way you can swap everything over from the Explorer, dash rear axle, what ever you desire. If you run into trouble the car might be gone from the yard, someone bought the part you need and so on.

Matt

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They are a lot of ways to do this. You can find the lowest mileage Explorer what ever year and then convert it back to the '97' wiring/computer/sensors/fuel system. That gives you a lot more flexiblity for furture performance increases. Buy a high mileage unit and go thru the normal rebuild and such. I know of someone who did the same swap using all the Explorer drive train (auto, transfer case and motor) in a long weekend. Took another week to sort out all the little problems that came up. Wiring is really easy, just have to be careful in mixing different year sensors anymore.
Dave - up here in Stevens Point (shoot me a PM)

Nehring13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok, heres my stupid question of the day, im allowed one a day right? i found a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0this was the specs on the computer for it: ,4X4,MFI,5.0,GOoD MOTOR, 103000 miles for $600.
A. is it a good deal?
B. can i use it from a merc, and get a wiring harness and crap from a 98 explorer?
thanks again

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
A mountaineer will be the same thing as an explorer. All the wiring you need will be there. If is it a full vehicle for $600 not too bad. With that milage though I would probably pull some stuff apart for inspection or replacement.

Matt

Nehring13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks, i was planning to rebuild it. break it all down, hone the cylinders, check all parts, rebuild kit, cam it, intake, then headers with a true dual exhaust, and whatever else i have to, i want to pull about 350 HP. i also would like to put in a t-5 tranny(i read about using the chevy t-5 plate and shift handle) id also plan on putting in an 8.8 rearend, and can i put a straight axle in the front? id like to do a12" susp lift, and a 2" bl. is all of this do-able? and how much of this can i get out of an explorer? thanks a lot.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd worry about just the engine swap right now. Think that all you are really going to need from the Mountaineer/Explorer if you insist on using a manual trans, is the motor, computer and all wiring and the radiator. Make sure all the front accesory brackets are there, they are expensive to replace. You should already have the 8.8 rear end. There are a couple of places in Milwawkee that have motors for $600 with under 30,000 miles, a couple under 200 miles.
Dave

Nehring13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
id like to worry only about the motor, but this is my daily driver, and i have to get to school and work, so i would like to get all o the parts i need first so i can swap everything all at one time. not motor, then axles, then lift,....i want to do it in a one shot deal.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
That's a big shot, plan on it being down 6 months or even a year to get all that stuff done the right way. You won't be able to use a T5 with the Explorer computer. You'll have to find a computer for a manual transmission. On another note you are going to have even a harder time finding a T5 transfer case adapter. AA has stopped making it for a few years now and finding a used one is difficult and expensive. If you must have a T5 the way to go is an older divorced t-case on it's own crossmember. The 8.8 is a piece of cake. The SAS can get involved. Leafs or coils, radius arms or links and so on. What tire size are you planning on? That's a good bit of lift so I can assume at least a 37? An 8.8 and a Dana 44 aren't going to hold, that's Dana 60 land for sure. There is a lot of work in each of those projects. I would suggest doing one at a time so you can concentrate on getting it done the best way possible.

Matt

Nehring13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i was planning on running 35" or maybe 37" but id need dana 60's for that? and what else can i use for a tranny? id like stick, but ill take what i can get. also could i use an 87 fox mustang 5.0 HO motor if i got the ecm with it too? thanks a lot all of this is helping me out a ton.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals