• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Been reading, but still ????

f1502rngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 Triton
Transmission
Automatic
If I retro-fit my A/C from R-12 to R-134a and we are not supposed to mix Ester oil with Pag, then do I just use Ester oil with R-134a?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Never, ever, ever, EVER use PAG oil on a system that has had R-12 in it at any point in its lifetime. It is OK to use it on a completely new system, with R-134a. PAG and traces of mineral oil react chemically. Ester oil is compatible and widely available.

Pasted from: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/June04/tech.htm

f1502rngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 Triton
Transmission
Automatic
so, what oil would we use in a retrofitted 134a? Just leave the Ester oil there and use R134a with no oil mixed in it? (Straight 134a)

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
No. Flush the system and add 8oz of Ester.

Think twice about doing this yourself, as you're having trouble already and a screw up will wreck your A/C.

You don't have ester in an R-12 system. You have mineral oil.

f1502rngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 Triton
Transmission
Automatic
ooops, my mistake, I went back an re-read http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/June04/tech.htm
and there it was...."Never, ever, ever, EVER use PAG oil on a system that has had R-12 in it at any point in its lifetime. It is OK to use it on a completely new system, with R-134a. PAG and traces of mineral oil react chemically. Ester oil is compatible and widely available".

I was thinking it said never to mix pag with ester, and could have sworn I read somewhere that Ester is used with R-12. I played with R134a systems, but with the demise of R-12, never messed with one of those. I want to retrofit this system to keep cost down. I will spend the extra few dollars to have a shop evacuate the system and test the compressor and such, so as not to be wasting my time. But I want to do this myself as much as possible, I want to learn how this works, what goes into this, even if it is a failure, I learned something. I believe the system now is just low on R-12 as the clutch cycles fast, I do not have R-12 gauges to get a reading and have no desire to purchase them either.

f1502rngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 Triton
Transmission
Automatic
Hey that is a great site, thank you Earl!!!

f1502rngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 Triton
Transmission
Automatic
Hey just one more question...., I read on here about the Wally world Retrofit kits, and looked at one, just LOOKED at it, how is it that they (the manufacturer of the kit) can say everything you need is in the box? If R-12 mineral oil don't mix well with PAG or Ester, then how can you put R134a in a prevus r12 system? let alone the oil they send with the kit? Does the instrctions inside the box say to take your vehcle to the shop to evacuate?

I just dont see how legaly they can say this.

f1502rngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 Triton
Transmission
Automatic
OK, had the system evacuated and then I went home and took the compressor off and drained the oil from it. Then I took off the Dryer and put about 6oz Ester oil in it, capped it, put 2oz in the compressor. After I installed the compressor (with new O-rings) I placed O-rings on the lines as well, then reinstall the dryer.
I pumped the system for about 35 minutes and am now waiting for 30 minutes to check to see if I loose any vacum. Have i done this right so far?

f1502rngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 Triton
Transmission
Automatic
well I put the R134a in and it blows ice cold. and Magk I did not wreck my a/c, thank you very much for the encouraging advice, you are the life of the party. I just had to be put on right track. I tried to say I mis-read the article. but you was rite about the amount of oil, thank you for that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals