• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

stubborn axle bearing

kroed11581

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Jee
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0 304V8
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all, I am trying to remove an axle bearing from a rear end of a Cherokee. It has the bearings in the axle tube, not on the shaft. I am using a big slide hammer, but it still won't come. Any suggestions? Thanks!
________
medical marijuana states

Last edited:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Break the bearings out of the race. Then use your axle to try and pry the race out. Sometimes they break. If that happens and they are so stubborn you could take the ring gear and carrier out and slide a pipe down the axle tube and hammer away.

847alexc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I know how bad these can be. As I doubt you want to remove the ring gear, here is one more technique. First, I am guessing that you live in the salt belt and that perhaps those bearings are rusted in. I am then assuming you have tried rust penetrant and the like to loosen them up.

) don't use flame, I have seen acetylene warp the tube.

Use extreme caution with this!

1) Beat the bearing from the race, just bust it apart so that all you are fighting with is the race, not the compound bearing. The race is whats actually stuck.

2)Take the guard off of an exhaust cut off wheel, so that it can fit into the race. Then cut a notch in the race. DO NOT CUT DOWN TO THE AXLE! If you cut down to within about 1/8 of an inch from the edge, you can avoid damage.

3) take a large chisle to finish the job of splitting the race. At this point, you can try loosening it with the chisel, or the slide hammer, or if you are lucky the c-clip fitting on the axle shaft.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I know how bad these can be. As I doubt you want to remove the ring gear, here is one more technique. First, I am guessing that you live in the salt belt and that perhaps those bearings are rusted in. I am then assuming you have tried rust penetrant and the like to loosen them up.
It's in axle grease.....what more do you wnat???????

847alexc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic

kroed11581

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Jee
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0 304V8
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the help! I was getting close to the cutoff wheel technique, but in a rare brief stroke of genius, I put the grabbies for the slide hammer in the raised edge of the race closest to me (had it down to just the race and yep, I did soak it in penetrating oil), and pounded the slide hammer till my hand felt broke. It broke the outer lip off the race, and it must have broken it free because I was able to put the grabbies behind the race (lip closest to the pumpkin) and it pounded out. Both sides required this method.

Yes, I am in the salt belt and rusty things are nothing new to me. I don't have a torch, although I have made up my mind to buy one and I am just waiting for the right price and setup.

Thanks again for everyone's help!
________
hot box vaporizers

Last edited:

847alexc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I don't have a torch, although I have made up my mind to buy one and I am just waiting for the right price and setup.

Thanks again for everyone's help!
Get the small bottles and regulator starter kit. There won't be a huge deposit on the small ones and the starter kit is like 100$

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Next time you have a stuck race, grab a welder and run a bead around the inside. When it cools it'll suck the race inward enough to develop some clearance.

Just be careful.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals