• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rides like a Lincoln

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So, I finally got around to loading up the donor car from my V8 swap. My 90' Lincoln TownCar. I called the junk yard and asked if I could trade them it for a rear axle out of a 95' or newer Explorer. They said no, and that the axle would be $300. I laughed at them and hung up, i mean, i'm bringing them metal (which is at INSANE prices right now) and I'm giving them a axle to replace the one I'm takeing.

Wait a minute.

I have an axle under the car!! So, I picked up the back end of the car with the tractor, threw some jack stands under there and crawled under with the torch and went crazy.

So now they can have the car, with no: engine, transmission, interior, rear axle, seats, radiator, dash. etc.

Is there anything preventing me from useing this axle under my B2 when I eventually break my 7.5? It is an 8.8 with (i think) 3.27 gears.

I think this means I have to get a new carrier when I regear, correct?
It is approx 6" wider than my 7.5, which is fine, because I plan on a 78' fullsize D44 one day (approximatly the same day(s) that I break my 7.5, lol.
So another choice I have to make is leafs VS tri-4-link. It was 4 linked in the car with air bags. It would be relativly easy to build a new cross member and try and 4 link it under my Bronco. OR, just make some spring perches and BAM throw it under.

I suppose I'm just generally looking for any tidbits of information pertaining to this car axle specifically.
It is considered fullsize? like in the 90's F150's?
It is 28 spline or 31?

pics

Last edited:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
awesome ass man

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
NEVER take whole cars to junkyards, always to a scrap yard, i know around me im gettin on average 12.50 USD per hundred .......

So, I finally got around to loading up the donor car from my V8 swap. My 90' Lincoln TownCar. I called the junk yard and asked if I could trade them it for a rear axle out of a 95' or newer Explorer. They said no, and that the axle would be $300. I laughed at them and hung up, i mean, i'm bringing them metal (which is at INSANE prices right now) and I'm giving them a axle to replace the one I'm takeing.

Wait a minute.

I have an axle under the car!! So, I picked up the back end of the car with the tractor, threw some jack stands under there and crawled under with the torch and went crazy.

So now they can have the car, with no: engine, transmission, interior, rear axle, seats, radiator, dash. etc.

Is there anything preventing me from useing this axle under my B2 when I eventually break my 7.5? It is an 8.8 with (i think) 3.27 gears.

I think this means I have to get a new carrier when I regear, correct?
It is approx 6" wider than my 7.5, which is fine, because I plan on a 78' fullsize D44 one day (approximatly the same day(s) that I break my 7.5, lol.
So another choice I have to make is leafs VS tri-4-link. It was 4 linked in the car with air bags. It would be relativly easy to build a new cross member and try and 4 link it under my Bronco. OR, just make some spring perches and BAM throw it under.

I suppose I'm just generally looking for any tidbits of information pertaining to this car axle specifically.
It is considered fullsize? like in the 90's F150's?
It is 28 spline or 31?

pics

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
You will not need a new carrier to regear. 8.8" axles don't have a carrier break.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you are going to a full size front end, you want a full size rear end as well. The full size has a different bolt pattern at the wheels. The car rear end is a 28 spline, the full size (f150) rearend is a 31 spline.
The bolt pattern on the lincoln rear is the same as the BII. It would be good for replacing the 7.5 if you were not replacing the front.

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, I've got one of those... I pulled mine out of a crown vic and its got disc brakes tho. I pulled mine to see if i could make the disc brakes from it work on the ranger rear axle. Havn't gotten around to it yet tho.

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you are going to a full size front end, you want a full size rear end as well. The full size has a different bolt pattern at the wheels. The car rear end is a 28 spline, the full size (f150) rearend is a 31 spline.
The bolt pattern on the lincoln rear is the same as the BII. It would be good for replacing the 7.5 if you were not replacing the front.
Thanks for the input Mutant and metalmac', I knew about the bolt patterns.

IDK if it makes a very good replacement for the 7.5". As I said, approx 6" wider rear axle = hung up in the trees because my front fit. If they are both fullsize then that is just how it's going to be.

But if I put together all the rest of the stuff you said, it basically sums up to "ditch the car axle and get a 31 spline 8.8" either from and explorer, or F150 if I go with a solid front. For as long as I have the D35 I will stick to 35" rubbers. One day, when I have a D44 with chromo's I want the 40" LTB's. There is no reason for me NOT to take my time and get a 31 spline version.

Last edited:

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
NEVER take whole cars to junkyards, always to a scrap yard, i know around me im gettin on average 12.50 USD per hundred .......
Damn, that's good money. Around here we MIGHT get $8-$10/hundred and that's only if it still has the cat on it. Without the cat it's about $7.

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
why would you tak that beauty apart

its so sexy, i like big old cars

as proof that im one of 2 kids in my area that would drive a crown vic,towncar, grand marqie, and be happy as a pig in shit

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
why would you tak that beauty apart

its so sexy, i like big old cars

as proof that im one of 2 kids in my area that would drive a crown vic,towncar, grand marqie, and be happy as a pig in shit
When I first met this car it was in a U-pull yard and the entire interior had been pulled. No seats, no carpet, no door panels. I needed the driveline, so I took it. Unfortunately for me, the previous driver didn't believe in maintenance, or not overheating things. I rebuilt the engine and had to re'clutch the transmission.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Damn, that's good money. Around here we MIGHT get $8-$10/hundred and that's only if it still has the cat on it. Without the cat it's about $7.
there are some yards around me that if i got a cat i can get 14.50 per hundred depending on what kind of mood the guys are in

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds like trento auto salvage
if he knows you, its a dollar, if he doesnt is 20, and another 40 to pull it, unless its big and than more

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals