• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

towing help

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I need help, I have a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder ranger. My problem is im going to help my uncle bail hay on one of his friends land, and the only trailor that we have is a 5x10 utility, rated at 2990 GVR 750 empty. My ranger cant pull that when its loaded with hay. What are the best ways I can upgrade my truck to pull it. If any. :3gears:

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I need help, I have a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder ranger. My problem is im going to help my uncle bail hay on one of his friends land, and the only trailor that we have is a 5x10 utility, rated at 2990 GVR 750 empty. My ranger cant pull that when its loaded with hay. What are the best ways I can upgrade my truck to pull it. If any. :3gears:
Go very slow. I wouldn't hesitate to pull a slow speed hay wagon if it weighed 3000 pounds.

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
Ok, but if i do that would i have to worry about something breaking like a leaf spring, or an axle due to the fact my truck specs say i can only tow 2000 pounds and the trailer weighs 3000.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I doubt you will harm your leaf springs. You could damage your bumper if you are going to use a ball hitch on the bumper. If you install a receiver tied into the frame you could get sag at the rear but if the trailer is loaded correctly there should be no damage to the frame or leaf springs.

If you have a manual transmission, you should be concerned about the clutch. That is what will see the most abuse. If you have an automatic, be careful not to overheat it.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The hay wagon will have nearly zero tongue weight too. It should have a pivoting front axle that carries the load.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That trailer won't hold more than one bale will it? I think a bale weighs 1,200#. You could pull that with a Craftsman riding mower.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
That trailer won't hold more than one bale will it? I think a bale weighs 1,200#. You could pull that with a Craftsman riding mower.
I'll rent you my ATV..

:D

All kidding aside, go slow and enjoy the ride.. You can never believe how long the white stripes in the road are until you pass them at 5mph.

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
Actually I think they weigh more around 1800# not 100% sure on that. We have the little square bails like you get at lowes or home depot. We stack as many as possible because, this is a pretty good size field and with gas the way it is we need to get as many as possible in one load. Ive never pulled something this big so I was concerned.:fie:

Last edited:

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
we hauled my cab, 2.9motor, manual trans, doors, fenders and other assorted scrap ALL IN THE BED to the scrap yard 10 miles away with a 5 speed and a 2.5 4cyl. dakota. you will be fine. just dont stop on ANY hills!

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
Alright, thanks guys, I feel alot better about it. I just didnt know if my truck would hold up.

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
The hay wagon will have nearly zero tongue weight too. It should have a pivoting front axle that carries the load.

This isnt a hay wagon its a 5x10 utility trailer.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I towed a 7,000 30' camping trailer with my 2001 4.0L Auto ranger. It was only around a campground and not fast, but it did it fine. The ass was draggin though!

I was going to do it in 4LO so the tranny didn't take as much abuse backing it up, but the truck had no problems with it.

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
Ok, thanks for the input.

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The lil 4 cyl might not like it much, but it should be fine, especially with land being flatter down there.

I pulled my 88 Eddie Bauer BII from Long Island, NY all they way down to Kittanning, PA (~700 miles) using a car dolly and my lil Ranger. I believe that would weigh in around 3-4k lbs. My mighty 3.0L pulled it just fine with the manual trans, stopping wasn't as nice though even with the towing package brakes. Of course, I was also going up and down mountains...

I pulled my 89 Choptop in relatively stock form from Philly to Kittanning, that was roughly 500 miles. No real problems there other than running out of money halfway back and having to get off the turnpike.

Pulled the choptop with a 5" lift, 33's an all via tow bar from home to college, then from college way out into the sticks and back to college, probably an easy 200 mile trip.

Oh, yea, I love my class 3 hitch!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They make small square bales that can easily be stacked in the back of any pickup truck. Less wastage, easier to move... they have their advantages, but you have to load/unload them by hand.

We have a round bale hauler (for the 1000+ bales you mention, you stab them and winch them up) there is no way in god's green earth I would put my Ranger let alone a mower on that. It it actually has a little negative tongue weight (because you can't have the axle behind the pivot for the spear) and will throw a half ton around the road above 10mph. That is 3/4 to one ton only territory... just because it has the heft to tell the bale where to go and make it go there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals