• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering, outside the box

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So, I might be getting my hands on a EB D44.

When I get to put it in want to push the axle forwards. Approx 8" (thats my guesstimate for now, that number may change.)

The only problem I am seeing is steering. (which is a big problem, i know)
I love full hydraulic for the toughness, but the big disadvantage there is that I will have no steering when the engine isn't running. (right?) that could easily turn into a problem on/off the trail. So I'm looking for some constructive/creative ideas on what to do about steering if I move the axle forwards. (I have learned that full hydraulic is legal, at least in my province)

A: relocate the steering box. (I dont think there is room to do this)
B: full hydrualic (as mentioned, has the running engine limitation)
C: fab rear steer? (HighPinion axle + engine crossmember = No room. Perhaps I have to fab my own engine crossmember?)
D: your idea, I'm all ears.

Thoughts?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
if your planning on running bigger then 38 tires consistantly full hydro is the way to go.

imo its the safest way to run a rig. its expensive at 14-2200 bux, but nothing can touch it for performance and reliability. engine off or not.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
the most cost effective way in your case will be an outside box with rear steer arms too btw as it will be protected better as your hangin er out there in the front.....

...but regular front steer will probably be the cheapest still. you can even incorporate your box still depending on your final engine choice.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
one other thing....i would not use a stock eb axle as a foundation piece..

total turd unless its totally upgraded and has the locker/gears you want to run. i would use a jeep axle first:dunno:.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if your planning on running bigger then 38 tires consistantly full hydro is the way to go.

imo its the safest way to run a rig. its expensive at 14-2200 bux, but nothing can touch it for performance and reliability. engine off or not.
How does fully hydro work with the engine off? Everything I have been around with full hydro steering (John Deere 4020 mainly) once the engine stalls, you are SOL, because both steering and brakes (also hydraulic) are 110% gone.

I will admit I am not familiar with 4x4 hydro steering setups though.:dntknw:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
How does fully hydro work with the engine off? Everything I have been around with full hydro steering (John Deere 4020 mainly) once the engine stalls, you are SOL, because both steering and brakes (also hydraulic) are 110% gone.

I will admit I am not familiar with 4x4 hydro steering setups though.:dntknw:
well there are systems that way for sure. but a pos system you order specifically for your rig wont be. of course they are expressly noted as not street engineered as well, but work well.

one time when i was on a rubicon trip with danger ranger his pump failed. we got out going a bit towards buck from spyder and out the front way by the slabs. we had alot of breakage with other rigs in the group and one larger scout was having to two wheel it out. its tough to steer like any ps failed rig would be, but got us out fine. a 90 pound woman or some dude that is a pussy may have had to stop and rest a few times.

in a trip prior he had to go out from the box with no engine at all... or lights, in the dark!!!!:sad:. that was a total fawkin trainwreck, but got er awn and out just as well.

i have watched him pound that setup sensless for years, and it is one of the first rams pos did too btw, station told me that himself. so i will be buying my system from them. money well spent, i mean hell its only steering right:taunt:

after working with a similar setup on a 44 tire equipped mall crawler it is in my mind the only way to go with huge ass tires.

combine this with the fact i have ripped two sector shafts off my rig, i have no fear and total faith in the systems.

wtf can you do when the pitman arm is hangin?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals