• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 to 4.0 swap

moto-Leo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
After a 6 month tour in europe Iam finally home. I swapped the 4.0 in from 92 explorer eb. into my 87 ranger.That was easy.
I have used the wiring harness from the explorer. The Harness is pretty much laid in from the computer all around to the firewall on the driver side. Now what? Is this where the real splicing begins?
1. Do I want to continue with the explorer harness thru the firewall? swap out the fuse block?
2. Do I start picking the wires apart and splice it in?

What will work best? I think I need some advice, Thank You All:icon_confused:

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
at the top of this page click on tech library, scroll down a bit untill you find 4.0 swap, it will be on the left of the page.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
probably the easiest if wiring is intimidating to you is just swap in the dash from the explorer so you have pretty much an explorer harness

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The problem is the 2nd gen dash doesn't fit a 1st gen without some good modification which is why I'm keeping the original when I do my swap.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
The problem is the 2nd gen dash doesn't fit a 1st gen without some good modification which is why I'm keeping the original when I do my swap.
it doesn't take much to get the dash hung,its the difference with the explorer heater box that is the hard part.still if you are allergic to wires it might be the easier way

moto-Leo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Page 3
explains
"I retained the Alternator wires that come from the drivers side and spliced in the alternator wires that come off the explorer harness"

does this mean the 3 wire plug B/O, Y/W, LT.G/R comming from the fire wall splices into the explorer harness at the big cannon plug downstream of the power distribution box wich is routed to te drivers side.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
you'll be time ahead by getting factory wiring diagrams for both trucks

moto-Leo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
After looking at the schems. The ranger had no cruise control and no tilt steering. I kinda like having that stuff. And the power window stuff. I decided to put the exp. dash in and continue with the exp. harness. The heater outlets fit good. Just had to cut off the driverside vent to fit and trim a piece of plastic on the passenger side. Needed to trim some plastic under the area of the speedo stuff. Adjust the tabs on the top side connecting by the wind shield. The dash is in and is solid. 4 hrs work.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
maybe get some gen2 power doors so the power windows will plug in easy,and a front clip to match?good to see progress

moto-Leo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I spotted some power doors at the pick and pull and I will snag them on the weekend.

moto-Leo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fire In The Hole

Jumper her and jumper there. no real cheating. The triple function was a bit of a hang up and a missed groud wire kicked my butt. I guess all the time I spent tweakin on turbine engines and building robots is paying off. This pig is running. Ezra Brooks is tasting real good now. Thank you all for the support and Iamsure more to come. I have a good running 2.9 for someone in need.:3gears:

Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Jumper her and jumper there. no real cheating. The triple function was a bit of a hang up and a missed groud wire kicked my butt. I guess all the time I spent tweakin on turbine engines and building robots is paying off. This pig is running. Ezra Brooks is tasting real good now. Thank you all for the support and Iamsure more to come. I have a good running 2.9 for someone in need.:3gears:

Darn shame we're aren't closer, I could use the 2.9. would make my life alot
simpler.

moto-Leo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Truck Runs Well

Truck runs well. I swapped the complete fuel system There was no splicing. It all plugged in like it was in the doner. I only needed to make a couple bends and it all fell in place into the tube holders . to easy.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual

moto-Leo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I will do the pics soon. I had to do a meeting thing down in Monterrey Mexico. I do a tremendous ammount of travel with my job and it is hard to juggle the kids , wife , work , and oh my own life. I enjoy TRS and have learned alot of good info. I do feel it is a good thing for me to give back.
Pics and layout should be in a couple days.

The fuel system swap is really simple and I think the explorer setup looks much better than the Ranger set up. I like the stainless hard tubing over the nylon.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals