• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Live front axle

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have been told my 2005 FX4 dosen't have locking hubs, but instead has a live front axle. Can anyone explain to me how this works, and what additional maintenance is required?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
The live front axle is just that.. Live. The axle shafts are bolted to the spindles. There is no locking hub to stop working. It is similar to a front wheel drive car. There is really no extra maintenance.

When in 2WD the front driveshaft will always turn. It is actually a nice setup, and one less link in the chain you will have to worry about breaking.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
"Live axle" is pretty much an archaic term and it has nothing to do with the hubs on a 4x4. It's now used to mean "solid axle" as opposed to independent suspension. In the past it just meant the rear axle shaft was powered rather than being something for the hubs to float on--like a one-wheel drive go cart with a chain drive to one side and a free floating hub on the other. On a "live axle" the sprocket is on the axle (which may not may not have a differential in it) instead of the wheel so the shaft is "live" and turns both wheels.

A good examble of a non live axle is an old Mack AC. It had a beam axle in the rear with a hub on each end with it's own sprocket. There was a transaxle divorced from the engine--like a lot of tractors are--and on each side was a sprocket going to each respective wheel. Here's one side of it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I always thought it meant that it was meant it was like the hubs are always locked in, just normally unpowered.

Most of the chain drive tractors with a jackshaft were homebuilt rigs made from a old car to increase the wheelbase. However some really old tractors had a small gear that drove a bigger ring gear inside the wheel, so I guess they would be a non live axle by your diffination too.

However you cut it Danger FX4 Ranger, you don't have any hubs to worry about.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
By my tractor reference I did not mean that the tractors were chain driven. I was just describing that the drivetrain on those Macks looks like it was taken from a tractor--except chain sprockets replace the wheels.

I said the term was archaic--meaning old and out of use. It's a go kart term now. It's no good trying to apply it. I mean look at a full-floating rear axle. That, by the original use, would not be a live axle. The real axles are the little stubs on the outside of the tubes. What we call "axle shafts" are really propeller shafts because they support no weight--and do the same job the chain did.

So only a semi-float axle is a "live axle" in modern terms.

This is a go-cart wheel and is not a live axle because the axle is stationary.

This is a "live axle" hub--it's fixed to the axle, which is driven by the chain.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals