• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A/C compressor on all the time!

poconojoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all,
2008 Ranger 7,000 miles. Now that it's hot out, I'm realizing that the vents are always putting out cold air. I checked the operation of the compressor and it engages in every posistion of the selector except the one that puts air on your feet. I get the conensation drip outside the truck, so the A/C is definately running. I even tried turning up the heat all the way and the compressor still runs. I will be bringing it back to the dealer with this and a few other gliches.
Basically I just wanted to post this problem to let everyone know.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just so you know, the ac compressor will run when the heat is on, and set to defrost! you did say every position though.... but i would double check. make sure the red-blue knob is set to red for heat, blue for ac.

poconojoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just to explain further... It was warm out, but not hot enough to use the A/C. I switched the selector to blow fresh air from the outside through the dash vents. The air coming out was way colder than the outside. I thought I was crazy, then it kept happening. I started investigating. After parking the truck, I would have the small puddle where the A/C usually drips. Then I watched the compressor clutch engage with every posistion of the selector with the exception of the floor direction. This was not the way my 97 Ranger operated.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this can't be normal. Right?
I have an appointment at the dealer next week. I will post back the results.

prefab08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have the same problem with my 99 ranger even when i put on the heat its still freeking cold, i looked at my 2000 and my 2008 and they only turn on in the ac selection areas and defrost like they should but not with the 99 its on at all times. so as soon as they let you know whats wrong let me know !!!

Greg5567

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Im not sure about mine, my heat works and my A/C works but like....that pipe that always "sweats" when the A/C - cold air is on...ALWAYS does it, like its forever doing it....even when the air is completely off.....

Im not to familiar with A/C--Heat so I dont know what to call the parts....

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The ac compressor runs at all temps and all vent positions (except one) to de-humidify the air in cab.

It's perfectly normal.

Greg5567

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
The ac compressor runs at all temps and all vent positions (except one) to de-humidify the air in cab.

It's perfectly normal.
This is to my post correct?

I probably shouldve made my own thread to avoid confusion, I apologize..

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This is to my post correct?

I probably shouldve made my own thread to avoid confusion, I apologize..

Yes but I think it also applies to the original poster as well.

To the orig poster- as long as your truck blows warm/hot air when you turn the selector that way, the compressor can/still will run nothing is wrong.

poconojoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, the dealer told me that it is perfectly normal for the compressor to run in those positions. I just don't remember my 97 doing that. I think that the newer trucks differ from the older ones, so I figured something was wrong.

Buckeyes903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (140)
Transmission
Manual
I have a similar problem with my 94, which has an A/C on button. Even with the button off, my compressor engages and stays engaged all the time. I thought it just kicked on and off to regulate pressure, or to do a system test, but it stays on unless I un-plug it and then as soon as I plug it back in, it re-engages. I have no idea what is up with this, could it be a bad computer? I would imagine it has to be electrical, since I remember the AC button turning on and off the compressor before

Donnie strickland

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a similar problem with my 94, which has an A/C on button. Even with the button off, my compressor engages and stays engaged all the time. I thought it just kicked on and off to regulate pressure, or to do a system test, but it stays on unless I un-plug it and then as soon as I plug it back in, it re-engages. I have no idea what is up with this, could it be a bad computer? I would imagine it has to be electrical, since I remember the AC button turning on and off the compressor before
I doubt it's the computer; on a 94 the compressor doesn't stay on all the time as it does on newer trucks. The compressor comes on when you:

1. Push the "A/C On" button, or,

2. Move the selector lever to "Defrost"

Last edited:

Greg5567

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I think the problem with mine isnt the compressor....I have my knob turned OFF and the A/C is off aswell (orange light is off) and the handle thing is at OFF aswell....yet the clutch for my a/c turns on for a couple min, then turns off, then turns on, then off...constantly

is that...similar or supposed to happen?

Buckeyes903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (140)
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, my compressor runs with the orange light off and the selector in any position all the time, unless the WOT sensor kicks it off or if when its idleing and is about to die, you can hear it kick off and the engine revs up and then on the compressor comes and almost kills it again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals