• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Radius Arm Question

Imacarguytoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am going to do the dana 44/ 9in swap from a 78 ford 150. I am doing this on a 92 explorer. Questions are can i run the stock length radius arms with about 6 in of lift? And it still flex good?

Last edited:

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
You might want to wrist the passenger side arm, but compared to the TTB it will be improved. What springs are you planning to use? Also, extend your shock mounts, see the F-250 shock mount article.

Imacarguytoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You might want to wrist the passenger side arm, but compared to the TTB it will be improved. What springs are you planning to use? Also, extend your shock mounts, see the F-250 shock mount article.
Why would i wrist it and what does that mean? Im researching springs as we speak for what works the best.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Actually, a TTB doesn't have the bind between the radius arms that a straightaxle has, so the TTB would actually fare better in that regard (of course you'd have to get away from stiff TTB lift coils to be able to see it though).

A wristed radius arm has a pivot point just behind where it's mounted to the axle. This allows it to pivot so the C-bushings don't have to soak up all the axle twist (basically it wants to act as a big giant swaybar).
The problem with wristed arms is you get some odd brake dive with it, since only one side is keeping the axle from rotating.

I would run extended arms instead of wristed if this will see much street use. Extending them lessens the amount the bushings have to twist (increasing flex), and will avoid the odd handling on the street.

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
A wristed radius arm has a pivot point just behind where it's mounted to the axle. This allows it to pivot so the C-bushings don't have to soak up all the axle twist (basically it wants to act as a big giant swaybar).
The problem with wristed arms is you get some odd brake dive with it, since only one side is keeping the axle from rotating.

I would run extended arms instead of wristed if this will see much street use. Extending them lessens the amount the bushings have to twist (increasing flex), and will avoid the odd handling on the street.
As long as you pin the wristed arm, there's no problems on the street. I've never seen anybody wrist an arm without pinning it. It would be pretty stupid not to unless it was a dedicated slow speed offroad rig. Even then i'd rather have the option.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
True, pinning helps, although I don't really like the metal-on-metal joint on it either. If you drive it on the street much, it's going to rattle after it wears a bit.

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
True, pinning helps, although I don't really like the metal-on-metal joint on it either. If you drive it on the street much, it's going to rattle after it wears a bit.
If the joints pinned it's not rotating/moving: not wearing.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Plain bolts/pins through the arm (without a bushing, like most I've seen) will never be free of all play. Perhaps if you go an extra step to tighten the bolts down so it's clamping the arm it would work though.

Now if this thing is a rattle trap to start (some are), then of course this probably wouldn't even be a concern. Clunks and rattles bug me big time though.

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Clunks and rattles bug me big time though.
How much gravel do you drive on a daily basis?

To rephrase a joke I once heard...
"I'd like for a grader to come one day.... Not for me, for the kids, so they know what they look like."

raiper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hell id forget about the pin concept (naturally) and wonder why it brakes and drives kinda crappy on the street.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Just driving the lumpy potholed streets of Los Angeles is enough to wear out your suspension lol.

Imacarguytoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The X will only be trial use only

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Wristed should work fine then :icon_thumby:

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
I never pinned mine on the street and noticed nothing different than when it was pinned. I just left it out. It's no different than the suspension I am running now on my bronco II with no upper arm on the passenger side. Same principal. The more angle your radius arms are at though the more it will be affected by not pinning it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals