• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck sales decline - Ford Ranger still sells!

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Saw this in a link I got from SEMA:

During the first half of 2008, pickup sales have dropped 23% compared to the same time period last year. The specialty-equipment industry has long revered the pickup segment for its growth and profit opportunities, but hikes in gasoline prices this year have taken a toll on recent sales.

AutoPacific, an automotive industry consulting firm, predicts that small, or compact, pickups will drop to 503,300 units sold for 2008, a decrease of 8% from 2007. Large pickup sales will endure an even more drastic decline of 20%, according to forecasts, ending 2008 with about 1,700,300 units sold. Overall pickup sales will drop 18% in 2008, according to AutoPacific data.

Still, the compact Ford Ranger and Toyota's Tundra and Tacoma have proven the most resilient among the steep declines, posting only single-digit losses from last year. The table below shows the top 20-selling pickups from January–June of 2008 compared to 2007 sales.

A survey sent to SEMA members earlier this year showed that 70% either manufactured or sold specialty products for large pickups. Though the sales shifts illustrated above are likely to have major impact on SEMA-member companies, the market for used pickups may still hold strong.
Around 57% of enthusiasts who own pickups said that they purchased their vehicle used, according to the Automotive Lifestyle study of automotive enthusiast magazine subscribers administered late last year. SEMA members know that consumers will continue to buy pickups, used and new.

“While it's an indisputable fact that pickup sales have declined drastically in recent months, they have not gone away and will not,” commented Joel Ayres, national marketing director for LEER.

Ayres went on to describe his observation of pickup owners at a recent event at the fairgrounds in Columbia. “Lined up in the parking lot were a dozen fullsize trucks with young men standing around them. Of course this was a beautiful sight to me. They talked to me about the high cost to fill up their trucks, but when I asked about changing vehicles, I got answers from ‘I need it for my work’ to needing the vehicle for pulling a boat or trailer. Some stated that they just plain like their truck."

Looking at those enthusiasts that own pickups, according to the Automotive Lifestyle study, some of the top activities indeed reflect a need for a pickup: 50% said they go camping or hiking; 49% hunting, fishing or shooting; 47% off-roading; and 32% boating or sailing. In addition, the top profession noted by these enthusiasts was “skilled trade,” a line of work that often requires a pickup.

R.L. Polk registration data shows that 12% of all vehicles registered in the United States are, in fact, fullsize pickups. So while new pickup sales are down this year, specialty-equipment companies could still benefit by focusing on current pickup owners.

Attachments

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For the first time in several years, I've seen the Ranger actually being advertised along with the "F" series, claiming to be the pick-up with the best mileage of any.
Mac

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
They're still less than 30% of F-series sales overall...maybe they'll make an F-Series Ranger...something in between a Ranger and a full size pickup...

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, but I just read that all the big auto makers are looking into making "lifestyle" pickups. They are basically a front wheel drive unit-body cross-over truck. Basically they are dropping mid-sized pick-ups and going into this direction.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
People are not so bright sometimes. My F-150 with the 5.4 gets better mileage than my Ranger with the 4.0l. LMAO I like them both though and can afford gas so....

I wonder if it helps that Ford Ranger 4cyl are the most widely used truck for fleet stuff? No one else would sell them as cheap as Ford would.

Dar70

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
People are not so bright sometimes. My F-150 with the 5.4 gets better mileage than my Ranger with the 4.0l. LMAO I like them both though and can afford gas so....

I wonder if it helps that Ford Ranger 4cyl are the most widely used truck for fleet stuff? No one else would sell them as cheap as Ford would.
Yeah the 4.0l 4x4 ranger will get about what the f-150 will get. I hope people realize that if they just want a truck to haul stuff and get good gas mileage that they have to get the 4 cyl Ranger not the 4x4 6 cyl. Im thinking many will think because its a small truck it will get good gas mileage. Of course that not the case.

Just got my 2008 4 cyl extended cab the other day. Its a quick 4 cyl and I dont even miss the power of my old Grand Am 6 whick had over 200hp. If people really want pickups for daily drivers they dont really need anything more than a 4 cyl ranger unless of course your in the construction business.

smokey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
That is unless they need 4WD then Ford in it's wisdom didn't offer a 4cyl 4wd option.
That should be a option not just the 4.0 if you want 4wd.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
problem is the majority of those that will continue to buy these "work trucks" are guys that wont benefit sema. the big part of sales losses are the blingers and those that need to max out investment because of the stupid cost of trucks due to the sissy ass blingers..

there is a section of us that wont buy useless fuzzy shiny shit for our trucks that we actually have to have, to put food on the table.

the one thing that pissed me off to no end the last 15 years or so was all these asshats and in fords case women... driving the price and usefulness of trucks to absurdity...all i can say is good riddance assholes.. cause i want real trucks back.

how bout a 250 hp 450-500# tq diesel crewcab 4x4 that get 25 plus mpg with ac and manual windows and no bling for 28-33k. maybe have an aba/generator option along with winch locker packages.

that would be #^%$@!& nice for a change. something with a composite bed that has removable sides to make it a flat bed so i can pound the hell out of it with large loads and akward windows or hottubs ect.

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
People keep comparing the 4x4 4.0L ranger to the f150 for mileage ... but that's pretty much a maxed out factory ranger as far as I'm concerned. How does the similarly optioned ranger compare against an f series? My 4 cyl/2WD/no AC ranger gets close to 30mpg ... does the lowest option f series get that?

on d bit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01 ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
i get 18-20 mpg in my 01 4.0 ranger stick shift with 130k miles on it. my dads ext cab 04 fx4 f150 is lucky to reach 15 on the highway. the 5 mpg difference is a lot i my book.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I live in Buffalo. A 2wd truck is good for nearly nothing in the winters here. Lake Effect snow can dump FEET or snow in hours around here. I don;t want to have to carry a ton of weight all winter.

bmacsys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i get 18-20 mpg in my 01 4.0 ranger stick shift with 130k miles on it. my dads ext cab 04 fx4 f150 is lucky to reach 15 on the highway. the 5 mpg difference is a lot i my book.

I gotta question getting 18 to 20 mpg with your 4.0 liter. Is it coasting downhill?

Dar70

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I live in Buffalo. A 2wd truck is good for nearly nothing in the winters here. Lake Effect snow can dump FEET or snow in hours around here. I don;t want to have to carry a ton of weight all winter.

I drove a mustang for years in the snow and while its weight is more spread out over the vehicle, the trick was to drive slow and responsible. Yes I slide at times but never an accident. Same with the Ranger. Yeah you have to put some weight back there but I doubt it will get the horrible gas mileage of the 4x4's. I have plenty of friends that drive the 2wd Rangers here in Michigan in the winters. They seem to have no problems at all.

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
FWIW, we have a Truck City Ford across the street. Basically all they sell is pickups, medium-duty commercial trucks, and the occasional van. No cars or SUVs except on the used lot.

This time last year they'd have only a handfull of rangers. All of them 4-cylinder, long beds, solid white fleet trucks. Usually hidden way in the back of the lot.

Recently, rangers have been popping up on the front row. Nice ones. With extended cabs, or bigger engines, or prettier paint, or all of it.

When I first got my ranger it was the only one in the lot at work. Now we've got five.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I drove a mustang for years in the snow and while its weight is more spread out over the vehicle, the trick was to drive slow and responsible. Yes I slide at times but never an accident. Same with the Ranger. Yeah you have to put some weight back there but I doubt it will get the horrible gas mileage of the 4x4's. I have plenty of friends that drive the 2wd Rangers here in Michigan in the winters. They seem to have no problems at all.
Maybe it's different here? When I was living 20 miles south of here I could not get a 2wd up or out of my driveway. And I know how to drive in snow. 2 feet of snow will stop a 2wd ranger dead. The only hope other than 4wd is front wheel drive around here. especially when they salt the roads and it re-freezes.

You could drive a 2wd, but you will need a push or two and you will NOT enjoy trying to get away from stoplights or up the hills. This area can be a tad bit hilly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals