• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pipe type

nick112207

Reaction score
Should i go with aluminized steel or stainless steel for the new exhaust pipe? or does it really make a difference? also anyone have any suggestions for an exhaust tip?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I would go with stainless, it will last longer than aluminized unless you live in a salt state then it really doesn't matter.

rlarge15

Reaction score
Why doesn't it matter if you live in a "salt state"?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Unless you live in a salt state it doesn't really matter. The only real advantage to stainless is it resists rusting longer, and the downside is it costs alot more.

rlarge15

Reaction score
Thanks mate!

Now that I think about it I asked a really stupid question, early morning zombie sorry

nick112207

Reaction score
Yeah. Ohio. They like using salt on the roads. I may go with stainless though because i have a buddy whos dad owns a car shop and i talked to him and he said he could get me a complete custom bent exhaust system for around 400 probably less

sonicboom919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 FFV - Vulcan!
Transmission
Manual
The pipe isn't really going o be seen all that much anyway. Aluminized will last you a good while...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah. Ohio. They like using salt on the roads. I may go with stainless though because i have a buddy whos dad owns a car shop and i talked to him and he said he could get me a complete custom bent exhaust system for around 400 probably less
I got true duals on my F-150 for $388 + tips ($90) and mufflers ($60) with alumanized pipe. My stock alumanized pipe at 48k miles still looked really good so I figured it was good enough for another round. A Ranger with a single exhaust sound be about half of what I spent, with true duals probably a little less and a Y pipe duals somewhere in between. This was from the cats back so it wasn't a complete system however, but the truck is longer than a Ranger too.

nick112207

Reaction score
Yeah i should have been more specific. that quote was on a stainless catback system. he said that would include muffler and just general crome tips. the muffler is a flowmaster 40. and the price he actually gave me was what he said another one of our friends paid him for true duels on a dodge ram 2500. so it was a general quote. i think his point was thats how much the other guy paid for duels on his full size truck so my little ranger with just one pipe would be alot cheaper

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Spend the couple extra bucks (less than $10 per tip) and get a stainless tip and sounds like you should have a system that will last for quite awhile.

If you are just going single I would stick a Flowmaster or whatever you want where your stock muffler is and use the stock pipe. You would only need the new muffler, some pipe if it is smaller than the old muffler, sawzall or hacksaw and a tip if you desire.

nick112207

Reaction score
well what im wanting to do is switch out the 2" pipe and replace it with 2.5" pipe. none of this is for performance gain of course i just want a better sounding system. Nice deep rumble. wanna get as close to that 8 cylider v6 sound as i can HAHA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Get a glass pack, sounds very good, all the rumble you could wish for, with a carb anyway, with FI your stuck with a raspy sound no matter what.

jmzneal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 and 2007
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
you could always heat paint them b/f insallation to protect them longer if long term is an issue...i live in TN and unless you have your underside protected then it gets cancer and dies a slow horrible death.....rust is incurable once it gets past surface rust stage. I heat paint everything i put under my truck regardless...slowly it's turning ford blue one component at a time...lol but there's no rust on anything i've put under it...

wade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
As you increase tubing diameter, and go from aluminized to stainless, consider that you may not be able to make mandrel bends with smaller radius'.
The smaller diameters and thinner gauge tubing will bend tighter. The system can always be welded though, to achieve your goal.
Just a consideration.
Talk it over with your "buddy's dad who owns a car shop". What's your engine size? -- How much flow do you need to compliment your engines performance level (without killing your low end torque)?

As far as pipe size is concerned, Check out TRS's Technical Library in the exhaust section and take a look at this link.
http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/faq/question10.asp
And there's absolutely nothing wrong with high-heat aluminized paints. Not as good as ceramic coating, of course. Thoroughly coat the tubing, let it dry to the touch, it will smoke like crazy until the exhaust heat finally cures it. Don't touch it until it completely cools off and/or is cured, because hot, uncured paints will smear exposing bare metal to rust.

Last edited:

turboL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
so no to mufflers

mufflers are overrated. i run my 3.0 99 ranger with no mufflers at all, the 99 came with 2.5 inch pipe so i just extended it back. i was only pulled over once by a cop, and he only pulled me over to see what i was running for his ranger. it dosent sound to rumbly but then again it dosent sound like a ricer ethier. it gives ur truck a unique sound and onjly costs me like 40 or so bucks to do it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals