• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New poster looking for opinions...

windsordeath

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, Havent posted much on this forum..just do alot of reading...after messing around with mustangs for so long, I wanted to get back to offroading with as much rain as we've been "enjoying" here on the gulfcoast...I have a 84 BII 2.8L 4SPD and That is my mudder...stone stock for the time but I want to get it squared up...I got it out of the bushes today and aired up the tires, then drove it on the lift and started looking everything over...after staring at all the oil leaks and exhaust leaks, not to mention the complete lack of freeze plug on the driver side...it occured to me I might not want to continue to pour oil into this engine on a weekly basis...So my question is can I do a full rebuild on this engine without killing the wallet or should I not waste my time and try to find something to swap in there?...if rebuilding it who has a master kit that isn't insanely priced?....any elp appreciated...

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I wouldn't mess with the 2.8 if it were me.
I ran one and it sold me on Rangers, I've had one ever since. The 2.8 is an ok motor at best. It would be cheaper to install a used 302 than to fix the 2.8. It has been done MANY times and all the tech is right here on TRS.
A 4.0 is also an option, it will bolt right in place but, requires a whole different fuel system, wiring and computer.
ANY motor can go in there, were there is a will, there is a way. The two above would be the most sensible ones.

windsordeath

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I assumed so...I have a complete 90 STX with 4.0 5spd I'd love to swap the powertrain from...But it belongs to a customer that wont pay his bill so I do and don't own it....I have 302's for days but I kinda want to keep the weight down a little....well..Where can I find those transcase adapters for t-5's? a s-10 4wd?

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree with you there. Although I have a v-8 Ranger, I prefer my 3.0. It airs out really nice. The v-8 truck is really nose heavy.
You would have to build a custom T5, front half Ford, back half chevy. Then use the s10 transfer case.

windsordeath

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's definitely not a daily for me....it's a trail only truck/also for getting to the hard to reach swimming holes...there's no real way i could compensate for the additional weight could i?

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like my little 2.8, if I had a manual transmission I would be looking for another used one in a heartbeat. But as much as I like it, I wouldn't rebuild one... like Mutant Pony said it would be nearly the same $$ to rebuild a V-8 as it would be to rebuild a 2.8 (or any other V-6 for that matter), and I am not putting a healthier engine onto my time bomb A4LD, so while I am changing both... I am going V-8, 289 with a C-5 to be exact.

I don't know what kind of power my 2.8 is putting out but it can't be good, and it has enough to get the job done with my setup and needs.

If you go EFI a 4.0 would the way to go, and having the entire donar vehicle handy would be a plus as the entire fuel system is different from carburator to EFI. I wouldn't mess with a 3.0 but that is just me.:icon_twisted:

Any other engine aside from maybe the 2.9 would need a different tranny, the 4spds were not all that strong without hanging a 4.0 on the front. The neither the 2.3 or 3.0 will bolt up to it, and the 4.0 would shred it.

A 302 is only about 150lbs more than a typical V-6, not really that earthshattering. If weight is your thing and you are willing to get creative, Black P-38 is putting an aluminum V-8 into his Ranger, it is in the V-8 swap forum. It is actually lighter than his 2.3.

ammocj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You don't need to rebuild the engine to fix oil and exhaust leaks. Or Freeze plugs.

Fix those,adjust the valves and run that motor till it quits.

Al

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You don't need to rebuild the engine to fix oil and exhaust leaks. Or Freeze plugs.

Fix those,adjust the valves and run that motor till it quits.

Al
Depends on what the story is on the freeze plug. If it deteriorated with age and blew out on the way to the shop is much different than if it froze while it was sitting there and busted other things too.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A rebuild isn't always necessary. These engines seem to go forever with minimum care. I did an overhaul on one of mine that turned out great. I needed new cam bearings so I replaced the cam, even though it was still good - I just wanted a little safety there as long as I had it apart. I just reamed the ridge, had the pistons expanded, new rings and bearings and rebuild heads. Ran like new until I sold that one.
Those seals can be removed and replaced without removing the engine; the freeze plug may be due to plain rust.

windsordeath

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Freeze plug has just rusted through and I am expecting more along the way....when I say oil leaks, I mean the enitre engine is leaking along with the characteristic valve seals so If i were fix the leaks It would only be wise to pull the engine...And if i were to go through the trouble then I would rebuild it...In the end then what would I have..... same power and possibly more money involved...I'd like power to imporve and weight to be kept down but I'm thinking seriously about that 302 swap....I have a donor fullsize bronco along with mustang mounts and oilpans...I'm thinking in this instance it would beasier money wise to do it this way...

windsordeath

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just a thing to add........To it's credit, that motor starts everytime I put a battery in the truck....and it runs like a top....just has a lot of oil leaks...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would just put gaskets, freeze plugs and seals in it and run it until it drops then.

But that is just me though.:3gears:

windsordeath

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Damn this is hard!....ok folks appreciate the opinions...I just got to think on this longer...

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would have to agree, if the motor runs good, the cylinders are probably in good shape, Maybe run a leakdown or just a simple compression test to help you make your decision.
I would run a compression test and if all cylinders were 120 or more, I would just fix the motor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals