• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Man, Sure do like those F-250 super dutys with the Diesel motor

LordVngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've owned my ranger about 8 years now and will probably own it for at least 3 to 5 more years BUT if I was going to get another car or truck there would be only one that I would want. and that would be a F250 SD with the diesel motor. It would be diesel or I wouldnt own it.

I'd really like one of them trucks But the cost of diesel and the price of the trucks themselves stop me cold. I've had people tell me they will get about 20 miles per gallon. Whats the story on the f250sd diesel and what do you think of them...

LV

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
if its the 7.3 you cant hurt em and they get good mileage. im actually buying one tomorow...

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
The 7.3 are loud, sounds like a schoolbus in the cab. The 6.0L are more quiet, but use a lot more diesel. The 6.0L also comes with a much better automatic tranny.

I would buy a 6.0L with a stick, within a day of picking up the truck I would be using a tuner on it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
While the 6.0 doesn't have quite as much of the good old diesel knock that the 7.3 does, it does have more than its share of turbo noise... and the earlier ones have a nasty habit of stretching headbolts and blowing headgaskets if a tuner is installed. They are also known as a bit of a basketcase of an engine, the later ones were ok but run away from the earlier ones... I would gladly pass on all that happy stuff for a 7.3 with a manual.

LordVngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
In just regular around town driving without a load or towing anything what type of gas milage does the 7.3 diesel get with a automatic tranny. Whats the factory quote, Does anybody know. I'd be most interested. Thanks...

LV

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I'd take the 7.3 over the 6.0. My parents have a ford with the 6.0 and I am throughly unimpressed by it. It's in those pos excursions.... it cant go 10k without having a couple hick ups. We town a 6500~7000 lb trailer and we have gone through 2 turbos and theres only 50k on her. Told them they should go out and get an older 250 or 350 with the 7.3.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I love thetrucks, seen one a few days ago $75.000..nice truck

melvinscott

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
S2000
Transmission
Automatic
Hey dude! The F250 SD was really a good ride. I have one and I am very happy with it. Try to buy some rims on it.

93Ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93, 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
ive got an 01 f-350 SD 7.3 liter diesel. I get about 230 miles per the first 15 gallons of fuel (dont dare let it get below half, i dont like the price i see filling it up) It is 4x4 and has 33s, also an edge evolution programmer set at the max 100 horse and yes she blows smoke like crazy. The 6 liters with programmers do run good but IMO its just not the same asa 7.3 with a programmer. On the 6 liter it's either turd or straight balls to the wall,thereis no inbetween like a 7.3.just my .02 cents.

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if your in it for the gas milage dont get the new 6.4 twin turbo. they average about 11 mpg, no joke either. teh 7.3 is a tried and true motor that will more than likely never really give you any problems. if you put a programmer on it start lookin for a built tranny, you can get by on it bein easy with it but in the long run that tranny wont last. And puttin a programmer on a 6.0 and one on a 7.3, the 7.3 will get beat assuming everything equal. Or just get a chevy dmax and you wont have to worry about either of them :D lol. bein a chevy guy i just had to say it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if your in it for the gas milage dont get the new 6.4 twin turbo. they average about 11 mpg, no joke either.
After they get a few tens of thousands of miles on them and start getting halfway broken in it does get better into the upper teens.

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've owned my ranger about 8 years now and will probably own it for at least 3 to 5 more years BUT if I was going to get another car or truck there would be only one that I would want. and that would be a F250 SD with the diesel motor. It would be diesel or I wouldnt own it.

I'd really like one of them trucks But the cost of diesel and the price of the trucks themselves stop me cold. I've had people tell me they will get about 20 miles per gallon. Whats the story on the f250sd diesel and what do you think of them...

LV

well in 3 to 5 years give me a call and maybe I'll have enough saved up by then to take it off your hands for you

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
In just regular around town driving without a load or towing anything what type of gas milage does the 7.3 diesel get with a automatic tranny. Whats the factory quote, Does anybody know. I'd be most interested. Thanks...

LV
if youre not in it hard, im gettin about 14-15. gettin about 17 on highway. i get about 13 in town driving and more pedal. just put a chip in it,gotta see what that does, then exhaust

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After they get a few tens of thousands of miles on them and start getting halfway broken in it does get better into the upper teens.
not from what i have seen, DPS has five new ones that already have 30 to 50 thousand miles on them and i personally know each one. we have done different types of driving with them and have seen at best of 14 mpg hand calculated. the old 7.3 that these guys had would get 16 mpg runnin 90 mph. if i can find the data sheets we recorded on ill post them but we sent them back to ford so they can see our Analysis, it is very in debth and accounts for many different variables.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
not from what i have seen, DPS has five new ones that already have 30 to 50 thousand miles on them and i personally know each one. we have done different types of driving with them and have seen at best of 14 mpg hand calculated. the old 7.3 that these guys had would get 16 mpg runnin 90 mph. if i can find the data sheets we recorded on ill post them but we sent them back to ford so they can see our Analysis, it is very in debth and accounts for many different variables.
Try more like 60-70k miles of hard work, and that is going off of the onboard calculator thingie.

The reason the 7.3 is no more is it wouldn't have a hope of passing the new emission regs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals