• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Unknown Occasional Shimmy at highway speeds

jdmbird83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 FFV
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, I am wondering if anyone might have any idea what the cause to my problem could be. Probably about 25-35% of the time while at highway speeds, my truck will experience an occasional shimmy that seems to be coming from the front end. This has been going on since I bought the truck about 2 and a half years ago. I had both the Upper and Lower ball joints replaced about a year ago, along with having an alignment done. Yesterday I greased the fittings (only ones I could find on my truck were on the ball joints), and now, when the shimmy comes, it seems to be a good bit worse than before, shaking the steering wheel slightly more violently. I have been unable to find anything describing this type problem that I am running into, and really hate paying the shop gobs of money to fix something that I can do on my own as I tend to be good at reading through instructions to fix something I had previously not done. I would be appreciative of any help that I might receive. Thank you.

Josh

bamaford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You Have A Wheel Out Of Aligment

OR A BENT RIM !:bawling:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Or a bad shock absorber, tie rod end, etc.

Have a friend drive on the interstate beside you, alternating which side he is watching, while you talk on the phone. He may be able to tell you which side is shimmying and what it looks like. I've followed a lot of POS cars on the road looking at their whacked camber, bouncy shocks, bent rims, dog-tailing (rear not tracking with front) etc.

Have him line up behind you, slightly offset to each side so he can watch how the RF and RR line up, same for left. Might be glaringly obvious.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals