• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hard to change a AC belt on a 2004 neon?

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know, How hard would it be to change an AC belt on a 2004 neon? What would be involved, just moving a tension pully and removing the belt? Or is there more to it than that. Its my girlfriends car and the shop wants 70-100 bucks to do the damn thing. Sounds outrageous to me why so much?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Parts and labor-wise (figure $22-35 for the belt, shop price) plus AT LEAST 1/2 hour labor (door rate is probably over $85/hr) - sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

You should do it for your girlfriend. Have you ever even looked under her hood? Please do so regularly, those Neons aren't "one of the most reliable cars".

PS. I erased three full paragraphs of rant. Go get your hands dirty, after her car cools off! She'll appreciate it.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Parts and labor-wise (figure $22-35 for the belt, shop price) plus AT LEAST 1/2 hour labor (door rate is probably over $85/hr) - sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

You should do it for your girlfriend. Have you ever even looked under her hood? Please do so regularly, those Neons aren't "one of the most reliable cars".

PS. I erased three full paragraphs of rant. Go get your hands dirty, after her car cools off! She'll appreciate it.
Never done one before. Thought I would ask first. I mean, There isnt even enough room for a midget on his knees to work under the hood of a neon:buttkick:.
Yeah it sounds like normal shop rates but if I can save either of us some $ I will. Her car is a 2nd gen neon which is much improved version of the 1st gen however I know they arent the best vehicles in the world. Im just going to go get a manual for this thing and do the work myself......probably wont be the last time I do work on this car might as well get the book sooner than later.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Neons are actually pretty decent cars imo. I drive one at work and it's a tough little bastard. Very slow with an automatic, but gets from a to b. I drove it about 75 miles today, at about 3/4 to full throttle at about 75% of the stoplights. Oh yeah, and a little bit of manual shifting in between. :D And that's what it sees pretty much every day. It's held up damn well so far, and doesn't shows signs of stopping anytime soon. I have no idea what it's like working on one though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals