• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newbie help.. replacing sway links?

daweinah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Heya.. first off I'm a total amateur when it comes to cars, they intimidate me when workin on them and I always feel like I'm going to break or misplace or miss-touch something.. that said, I'm still pretty handy with tools and such. It's mostly a matter of not knowing what I'm doing, rather than being incapable.

Anyway my truck has been making a lot of rattling/jingling noise in the front passenger wheel area and it turns out the sway link had a broken bushing and was shaking around in its socket (thanks to tire guy at WalMart for giving me the words to describe that, lol) I went to O'Reilly's and picked up a pair of Moog sway links and I'm hoping that putting the new ones on will take care of the rattling. I haven't noticed a major loss in steering ability, but this could have been a problem for a very long time and I've just become used to it.

My question is.. how hard is this repair? It looks like I can just take the wheel off, unscrew the bolt on the existing link, and slide the new one in and tighten the bolt. Is it that simple? The guy at O'Reilly's mentioned that I might need to pry the sway bar back so that I could get the bolt loosened initially.. that makes sense because the bar has tension (or rather is supposed to have tension, if that side weren't broken) so I should be able to handle that much.

Is there anything special I need to be aware of, or can I just jump in there with a socket wrench and stick the new links in there. It doesn't seem like it will take very long at all.

Thanks!

du510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MAZDA
Transmission
Manual
Assume youre referring to swaybar end links.... yup, its as simple as you think. No sweat.

daweinah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yea, they look something like this, and I'm hoping they will be the only thing I need to replace!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals